Apr 26, 2014, 8:36 AM EST
Sometimes in soccer, it’s just not your day.
Everton are having know that only too well after a horror first half at St. Mary’s against Southampton, which has put a huge dent in their hopes to finish in the top four.
Saints took a dramatic lead after just 58 seconds as the Toffees gave the ball away straight from the kick off and Saints pounced to punish the away side. Good build up play from Adam Lallana released Rickie Lambert on the left and his curling cross was inexplicably headed into his own net by Alcaraz who was under no pressure. It was a dream start for Saints, as Everton’s stand-in central defender made a major miscue.
Everton whipped in some good deliveries but Saints defended well and on the half hour mark Everton’s day went from bad to worse.
A surging right win run from the impressive Nathaniel Clyne saw his cross somehow missed by both Alcaraz and Stones as the ball ricocheted off Coleman’s head and into the far corner of the net. Southampton were 2-0 up… and none of their players had even scored.
See if Everton can launch a remarkable comeback in the second half, as you can watch the game live online via NBC Sports Live Extra.
- La Liga & Serie A roundup: Draws for Real, Atletico; Salah shines for Fiorentina 0
- Chelsea 2-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Mourinho’s boys win League Cup trophy 0
- Three things we learned from Liverpool’s win vs. Manchester City 3
- Liverpool 2-1 Manchester City: Pair of Reds stunners stupefy City 4
- MLS roundup: LA Galaxy, Orlando, Red Bulls, Union, RSL, 13 others in preseason finales 0
- WATCH: NYCFC’s Mix Diskerud hits a screamer from 20 yards 0