Apr 26, 2014, 8:36 AM EDT
Sometimes in soccer, it’s just not your day.
Everton are having know that only too well after a horror first half at St. Mary’s against Southampton, which has put a huge dent in their hopes to finish in the top four.
Saints took a dramatic lead after just 58 seconds as the Toffees gave the ball away straight from the kick off and Saints pounced to punish the away side. Good build up play from Adam Lallana released Rickie Lambert on the left and his curling cross was inexplicably headed into his own net by Alcaraz who was under no pressure. It was a dream start for Saints, as Everton’s stand-in central defender made a major miscue.
Everton whipped in some good deliveries but Saints defended well and on the half hour mark Everton’s day went from bad to worse.
A surging right win run from the impressive Nathaniel Clyne saw his cross somehow missed by both Alcaraz and Stones as the ball ricocheted off Coleman’s head and into the far corner of the net. Southampton were 2-0 up… and none of their players had even scored.
See if Everton can launch a remarkable comeback in the second half, as you can watch the game live online via NBC Sports Live Extra.
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0
- VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend) 2
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Madrid clubs, Borussia Dortmund roll 0
- Three things we learned as Real Madrid rout Liverpool 0
- Arsenal’s Podolski, Gibbs break Belgian hearts in left-for-late win 0