Apr 26, 2014, 8:36 AM EDT
Sometimes in soccer, it’s just not your day.
Everton are having know that only too well after a horror first half at St. Mary’s against Southampton, which has put a huge dent in their hopes to finish in the top four.
Saints took a dramatic lead after just 58 seconds as the Toffees gave the ball away straight from the kick off and Saints pounced to punish the away side. Good build up play from Adam Lallana released Rickie Lambert on the left and his curling cross was inexplicably headed into his own net by Alcaraz who was under no pressure. It was a dream start for Saints, as Everton’s stand-in central defender made a major miscue.
Everton whipped in some good deliveries but Saints defended well and on the half hour mark Everton’s day went from bad to worse.
A surging right win run from the impressive Nathaniel Clyne saw his cross somehow missed by both Alcaraz and Stones as the ball ricocheted off Coleman’s head and into the far corner of the net. Southampton were 2-0 up… and none of their players had even scored.
See if Everton can launch a remarkable comeback in the second half, as you can watch the game live online via NBC Sports Live Extra.
- Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup roundup: Union, Orlando, Chicago move on as Charlotte bounced 0
- With the World Cup on the line, the USWNT gave us a vintage performance to savor 1
- United States defeats Germany, advances to Women’s World Cup final 12
- Reports: Galaxy on verge of landing El Tri star Dos Santos as “core player” 8
- Report: Sepp Blatter will not attend Women’s World Cup final 0
- Nigel Pearson fired as manager by Leicester City 2