Apr 27, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Now that Chelsea walked into Anfield and came away with a 2-0 win, the Premier League title race is open for Manchester City. And today’s victors can find some scenarios that end up with a title coming back to Stamford Bridge on Championship Sunday.
May 5 at Crystal Palace
May 11 vs. Newcastle United
May 4 vs. Norwich City
May 11 at Cardiff City
May 3 at Everton
May 7 vs. Aston Villa
May 11 vs. West Ham United
First and foremost, obviously Liverpool are no longer in total control of the title race
— If Liverpool win their final two matches and Manchester City win their final three matches, the two clubs would finish tied with 86 points a piece, and the title would be decided by the goal difference tie-breaker (Manchester City currently have a plus-8 better goal difference than Liverpool).
— Chelsea need both Liverpool and Man City to drop points in order to possibly win the title.
— While there’s a chance the title will be decided on May 7, it will almost certainly put the focus on Championship Sunday, May 11, with Liverpool and Manchester City at home and Chelsea on the road.
— How could it end on May 7? Liverpool can possibly win the title if:
- Man City drop points in both of their next 2 matches (at EVE Saturday; v. AVL May 7) AND
- Chelsea drop points v. NOR next Sunday (May 4) AND
- LIV win at CP next Monday (May 5)
— If Man City win at Everton on Saturday, the title will not be decided until Championship Sunday.
So…. who ya got?
- Report: Multiple FIFA officials arrested in Zurich, extradited to United States 3
- Mourinho rips Top 4 rivals at awards dinner; Takes extra shot at Wenger’s Arsenal 1
- Premier League Grades: How did each team fare in 2014-15? 7
- Premier League Playback: Looking back at a memorable 2014-15 season 0
- Didier Drogba open to Major League Soccer move after leaving Chelsea 9
- Real Madrid president asked what’s wrong with Carlo Ancelotti: “I don’t know” 2