Apr 27, 2014, 8:21 AM EST
Liverpool welcome Chelsea to Anfield on Sunday (Watch live on NBCSN, 9:05 a.m. ET and online via Live Extra) with the Reds’ title hopes on the line.
Chelsea will play the role as spoiler, as even if they win the Blues’ chances of winning the league are slim.
Jose Mourinho has been playing mind games with Liverpool all week, as he spoke about playing his ‘b squad’ with the second leg of the UEFA Champions League semifinal against Atletico Madrid looming large and injuries mounting up.
Meanwhile Liverpool knows two wins and a draw from their final three games of the season will guarantee their first league title in 24 years. Nerves will be jangling from the home fans, as Brendan Rodgers’ side are on the verge of greatness but they’re not over the finishing line yet.
In team news Liverpool start with three at the front with Raheem Sterling and Philippe Coutinho supporting Luis Suarez. Daniel Sturridge is on the bench as expected, as he recovers from his muscle injury.
For Chelsea, as expected, Mourinho makes wholesale changes to their starting lineup. Tomas Kalas and Demba Ba come into the starting lineup, while Ba will be supported by Andre Schurrle and Mohamed Salah up front. Kalas is receiving his first start of the season, with just two 89th minute sub appearances thus far.
Liverpool: Mignolet; Johnson, Skrtel, Sakho, Flanagan; Gerrard, Allen, Lucas; Sterling, Suarez, Coutinho.
Bench – Jones, Toure, Agger, Cissokho, Alberto, Aspas, Sturridge.
Chelsea: Schwarzer; Azpilicueta, Ivanovic, Kalas, Cole; Lampard, Mikel, Matic; Salah, Ba, Schurrle.
Bench – Hilario, Ake, Cahill, Van Ginkel, Baker, Willian, Torres.
- MLS, union come together to avoid calamitous work stoppage 6
- Wednesday’s Premier League roundup: Chelsea, Man City win; six of top seven prevail 0
- Jose Mourinho says his Chelsea team “were brothers on the pitch” in crucial win 0
- West Ham United 0-1 Chelsea: Hazard’s header enough for league leaders (video) 0
- Queens Park Rangers 1-2 Arsenal: Red-hot Giroud helps Gunners to win (video) 0
- Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester United: Krul gaffe spoils Jonas return (video) 4