Apr 28, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
After all-but-qualifying for the UEFA Champions League with a resounding 3-0 win over moribund Newcastle United, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger allowed his focus to shift to the future.
With Mesut Ozil in the brilliant form he showed when he first arrived at the Emirates, the Gunners baffled the Magpies’ 4-4-1-1. Even Tim Krul, Newcastle’s goalkeeping wonder, was left ordinary on multiple occasions as Arsenal rolled through the match like the team which spent the first half of the season challenging for the title.
So while the Gunners need just a little nudge to clinch fourth-place overall, Wenger is clearly exhaling. He even allowed himself to talk about next season in his post-match press conference.
“We have shown that we have potential but we want more next season and we hope that we can do it.
“One more win will be top four and it would show that the club has been consistent over the years. We want more, though.
“It is not done yet. To get over the line is always difficult. We need to do the final job well.”
And Wenger dropped some knowledge on a player who was simply great for Arsenal before going down with an injury, and will be a key piece to their 2014/15 charge:
— Arsenal FC (@Arsenal) April 28, 2014
- FOLLOW LIVE: Arsenal, Aston Villa square off in FA Cup final 0
- Hyndman stars as U.S. U-20 team downs Myanmar 2-1 to open World Cup play 1
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: PST’s Best XI of the Season 0
- Blatter’s “Wolf of Wall Street” moment could play out the exact same way 4
- Prince Ali Bin Al-Hussein withdraws from second vote; Cocky Blatter speaks in power, references “offshore” future 35
- FA Cup final preview: Aston Villa underdogs in Arsenal’s pursuit of back-to-back cups 1