Apr 28, 2014, 5:43 PM EST
After all-but-qualifying for the UEFA Champions League with a resounding 3-0 win over moribund Newcastle United, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger allowed his focus to shift to the future.
With Mesut Ozil in the brilliant form he showed when he first arrived at the Emirates, the Gunners baffled the Magpies’ 4-4-1-1. Even Tim Krul, Newcastle’s goalkeeping wonder, was left ordinary on multiple occasions as Arsenal rolled through the match like the team which spent the first half of the season challenging for the title.
So while the Gunners need just a little nudge to clinch fourth-place overall, Wenger is clearly exhaling. He even allowed himself to talk about next season in his post-match press conference.
“We have shown that we have potential but we want more next season and we hope that we can do it.
“One more win will be top four and it would show that the club has been consistent over the years. We want more, though.
“It is not done yet. To get over the line is always difficult. We need to do the final job well.”
And Wenger dropped some knowledge on a player who was simply great for Arsenal before going down with an injury, and will be a key piece to their 2014/15 charge:
— Arsenal FC (@Arsenal) April 28, 2014
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: New York City FC 0
- Rumors know no window: Orlando using Kaka to lure Balotelli to MLS 5
- La Liga & Serie A roundup: Draws for Real, Atletico; Salah shines for Fiorentina 0
- Chelsea 2-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Mourinho’s boys win League Cup trophy 0
- Three things we learned from Liverpool’s win vs. Manchester City 4