Apr 28, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Big news out of San Jose today where the Earthquakes have announced a friendly match with La Liga and Champions League title contenders, Atletico Madrid, at Candlestick Park on July 27th.
“This is a great opportunity for Bay Area soccer fans to watch their local team take on one of the premier clubs in the world,” said Earthquakes president Dave Kaval.
“Hosting a UEFA Champions League semifinalist is a special experience. Earthquakes fans have some great games to look forward to this summer and this match adds to the list.”
Tickets for the match will be discounted and go on sale for season ticket holders on May 12th while tickets for the general public will go on sale on May 20th on the Earthquake’s official website.
This will be Atletico’s second trip to the US in as many years, as part of the Copa Euroamericana tournament. Last year the tournament was represented by Porto, Sevilla, Atletico Nacional (Brazil), Barcelona S.C. (Ecuador), Deportivo Anzoategui (Venezuela), Estudiantes de la Plata (Argentina), Millonarios (Colombia), Club Nacional de Futbol (Uruguay), Sporting Cristal (Peru) and Universidad Catolica (Chile).
This year Club America and AS Monaco have committed to join Atletico in the lineup while a host of additional clubs are set to be announced soon. As part of the tournament Atletico is also scheduled to play Club America in Mexico City on July 30th.
- Premier League friendly roundup: Southampton draws, Stoke swallowed 0
- Jose Mourinho says “best team lost,” attacks Arsenal’s defensive tactics, as Chelsea beaten at their own game 5
- Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho fail to shake hands, as Gunners boss finally prevails 1
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s Community Shield win vs. Chelsea 0
- Arsenal 1-0 Chelsea: Oxlade-Chamberlain strike wins Gunners FA Community Shield 0
- Report: Manchester United, PSG agree to $70 million fee for Angel di Maria 3