May 1, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
The job offer was part of City’s new global membership scheme called Cityzens, which allowed fans from across the globe to apply for the position and, after a whittle-down process, compete in a series of challenges.
Fans voted and selected the 24-year-old Kenny after he and other finalists sung the club’s pre-match anthem ‘Blue Moon’ on the pitch, commentated on Aguero’s last-gasp goal against QPR that handed City the Premier League title in 2012 and took their chances to score a goal on Patrick Vieira.
Kenny, not surprisingly, was over the moon (boom!) over the situation. “Sergio Aguero was literally the last person on earth I’d expect to see on my front doorstep or in Stretford for that matter. Getting the job at City was a dream come true as it was, let alone your hero coming to personally give your staff pass. It was a surprise I will never forget.”
Ever the class act, Aguero returned the kind words. “Without fans like John, there is no Manchester City. They are the heartbeat of the club and the reason we are proud to wear the club crest. It was cool seeing his collection of City tops, especially the 1988 top, which was the year I was born.”
- What will Jurgen Klinsmann’s USMNT roster look like for 2015 Gold Cup? 2
- April Fools! The top gags that actually fooled soccer fans on this day 5
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Player of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Coach of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Team of the Season 3
- Who were biggest winners, losers from USMNT’s March friendlies? 5