May 1, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
The job offer was part of City’s new global membership scheme called Cityzens, which allowed fans from across the globe to apply for the position and, after a whittle-down process, compete in a series of challenges.
Fans voted and selected the 24-year-old Kenny after he and other finalists sung the club’s pre-match anthem ‘Blue Moon’ on the pitch, commentated on Aguero’s last-gasp goal against QPR that handed City the Premier League title in 2012 and took their chances to score a goal on Patrick Vieira.
Kenny, not surprisingly, was over the moon (boom!) over the situation. “Sergio Aguero was literally the last person on earth I’d expect to see on my front doorstep or in Stretford for that matter. Getting the job at City was a dream come true as it was, let alone your hero coming to personally give your staff pass. It was a surprise I will never forget.”
Ever the class act, Aguero returned the kind words. “Without fans like John, there is no Manchester City. They are the heartbeat of the club and the reason we are proud to wear the club crest. It was cool seeing his collection of City tops, especially the 1988 top, which was the year I was born.”
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 3
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 2
- West Ham United 2-1 Manchester City: Hammers stun reigning champs (video) 1