May 2, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
Bad news out of Texas as FC Dallas’ red-hot start to the season may just simmer down as their star man is reportedly out for the rest of the season.
According to reports from the Sports Editor at Al Día based in Dallas, Silvana Pagliuca, Diaz has been ruled out of the rest of the season as the MLS Player of the Month for March requires an operation on his meniscus.
Diaz, 23, has been a revelation since signing for FCD as a Designated Player from River Plate over the offseason. Losing the Argentine player would be a huge blow to Dallas as Diaz has been one of the main reasons Oscar Pareja’s side have surged to second place in the MLS standings after a strong start that has seen them post a 5-2-1 record thus far.
Three goals and two assists in his opening eight games in MLS portrays what Diaz is all about as the playmaker loves to get on the ball and create havoc in the final third.
If these reports turn out to be true, how hard will losing Diaz hit Dallas?
This would rock Pareja’s men hard, no question, as their entire attacking unit has been set up around Diaz and his ability to pick out a pass or make something out of nothing. Although other attackers have done well this season and the likes of Je-Vaughn Watson, Blas Perez and Michel all have three goals to their name this campaign, while Fabian Castillo has bagged two goals already which equals his tally from 2013. Dallas have until May 12 to make an addition to their squad as that is when the early season transfer window slams shut.
It will certainly be interesting to see how FCD cope with Diaz’s loss and if they can keep their superb start to the current campaign going. If it turns out to be as bad as first expected then it will be a huge blow for Dallas and Major League Soccer after the Argentine’s sensational start to life in the States.
- MLS playoffs weekend preview: Which remaining team has the best form? 0
- Van Gaal: Manchester Derby is “biggest” he’ll manage; Rooney in, Falcao out 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 10 4
- Diego Costa will be available to Chelsea this weekend, says Jose Mourinho; QPR and Blues to tangle on NBCSN 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton the standouts 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Will Chelsea ever lose, Burnley ever win? 0