May 2, 2014, 12:46 PM EST
If you look around all 20 of the Premier League stadiums, you’d be hard pressed to find a dodgy pitch out there.
The quality of the playing surface in the PL is sublime, yet we are humans so therefore we have to have rankings. Two pitches have won the joint-award as the best patches of hallowed turf in the league, as Arsenal and Southampton’s groundstaff have been named the Barclays Premier League Grounds Team of the season.
The Saints and Gunners came out on top of the five-team shortlist, ahead of Aston Villa, Swansea City and Cardiff City, after the finalists were named earlier this season.
So, as you can see from the picture of Saints’ home field at St. Mary’s on the right, clubs have been getting creative when it comes to pitch design this season. Below are some more examples from St. Mary’s (where the groundstaff should really be up for some kind of artistic award) and elsewhere in the PL as the perfectly manufactured grass make it easier for players to play the wonderful flowing soccer we all love to see.
Before we get to that, is there any direct correlation between the two of the teams who love to play the most attractive soccer in the PL also have the best pitches? It’s one to think about.
Here, as promised, are some fine examples of top quality grass.
The Gunners rejoice… while mowing their lawn:
Saints’ crazy groundsman has something special in store, once again:
Swansea City have a lovely setup down in South Wales:
Newcastle’s pitch is right up there with the best too:
Finally check out Scottish side Partick Thistle’s Firhill Stadium way back when. Snazzy:
There are plenty more out there, send us in the best pitch designs you’ve seen in the comments section below.
- WATCH: Incredible 60-yard pass leads Montreal ouster of Pachuca in CONCACAF Champions League 1
- Tuesday’s Premier League roundup: Saints, Villa win; Hull, Sunderland draw 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: Toronto FC 0
- Aston Villa 2-1 West Bromwich Albion: Late drama hands Sherwood first win (video) 0
- Southampton 1-0 Crystal Palace: Mane’s late goal gets Saints back on track (video) 0
- Update on MLS labor strike: Players Union, league at impasse as situation looks dire 8