May 3, 2014, 9:37 AM EDT
The final minute of the final day of the 46-game Championship season saw a dramatic finale which sparked scenes of jubilation and despair across England’s second-tier.
We now know the four teams who will battle it out for the final promotion spot to the Premier League via the playoffs, as the regular season went down to the wire.
In stoppage time Brighton and Hove Albion scored through Leo Ulloa as the striker headed home to give the Seagulls a 2-1 win away at Nottingham Forest and seal the final playoff spot.
That meant Reading, who were relegated from the Premier League season, had to beat already promoted Burnley at home but the Royals came up short as they drew 2-2 and missed out on the playoffs to Brighton by just one point.
At the bottom a former PL side, Birmingham City, were just 60 seconds away from relegation to League One but Paul Caddis scored in stoppage time to spark wild scenes at the Reebok Stadium as the Blues drew 2-2 away at Bolton and relegated Doncaster Rovers in the process. Lee Clark’s men battled superbly to stave off relegation as the 2011 League Cup winners are in severe financial turmoil off the pitch. At least now their status as a second-tier teams is secured.
So in the Championship the four teams who will battle it out for the one remaining spot in the Premier League next season are Derby County, Queens Park Rangers, Wigan Atheltic and Brighton. Leicester City won the league title as Champions with 102 points, while Burnley secured second place and the second automatic promotion spot.
The three teams who suffered relegation to League One are Yeovil, Barnsley and Doncaster.
Here are the fulls results on an incredible final day of action in the Championship.
RESULTS – Final day of English Championship (second-tier)
Barnsley 2-3 QPR
Blackburn 4-3 Wigan
Blackpool 0-3 Charlton
Bolton 2-2 Birmingham
Ipswich 2-1 Sheffield Wednesday
Leeds 1-1 Derby
Leicester 1-0 Doncaster *defeat means Doncaster are relegated
Millwall 1-0 Bournemouth
Nottingham Forest 1-2 Brighton *win means Brighton make the playoffs
Reading 2-2 Burnley
Watford 1-4 Huddersfield
Yeovil 1-4 Middlesbrough
- Done Deals: Recapping Man United (and others’) busy day — De Gea drama; Chicharito out; $56 million for Martial 0
- Report: De Gea moving to Madrid as Costa Rican hero Navas heads to Old Trafford 4
- Fireworks as transfer deadline passes in Germany: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Januzaj to Dortmund 1
- Premier League Playback: It’s time to change the Transfer Window rules 2
- Draxler, Pogba, Januzaj headline 10 deals to monitor as we near Transfer Deadline Day 1
- Manchester United to add new $56 million striker as Monaco’s Martial leaves France duty 1