May 3, 2014, 6:54 PM EDT
The first day of the Premier League’s penultimate weekend answered a number of the circuit’s outstanding questions. After Saturday’s results, we know two of the three teams that will be relegated, just as we know which club will finish fourth, completing the foursome England will put forward for next year’s UEFA Champions League. All that’s left to decide is the league’s last relegated team, a Europa League spot, and, oh yeah, the league title.
That final honor moved slightly closer to Manchester today, with City’s 3-2 win at Everton temporarily vaulting the Citizens top of the league. Thanks to two goals from Edin Dzeko, Manuel Pellegrini’s team maintains control of its own destiny. They’re two wins from claiming a second title in three years.
That was one of seven matches that brought in the league’s 37th round. Here (above) are your highlights.
- Premier League transfer window grades – Which team did the best business? 0
- Done Deal: Radamel Falcao completes move to Manchester United 3
- Done Deal: Better late than never, Arsenal seals deal with Welbeck 2
- Americans Abroad wrap: Guzan stays unbeaten, Lichaj & Bedoya thrive 1
- Done Deal: Listing all the Deadline Day deals from the Premier League 5
- Southampton sign Toby Alderweireld, add $18 million winger Sadio Mane 0