May 3, 2014, 6:54 PM EDT
The first day of the Premier League’s penultimate weekend answered a number of the circuit’s outstanding questions. After Saturday’s results, we know two of the three teams that will be relegated, just as we know which club will finish fourth, completing the foursome England will put forward for next year’s UEFA Champions League. All that’s left to decide is the league’s last relegated team, a Europa League spot, and, oh yeah, the league title.
That final honor moved slightly closer to Manchester today, with City’s 3-2 win at Everton temporarily vaulting the Citizens top of the league. Thanks to two goals from Edin Dzeko, Manuel Pellegrini’s team maintains control of its own destiny. They’re two wins from claiming a second title in three years.
That was one of seven matches that brought in the league’s 37th round. Here (above) are your highlights.
- MLS roundup: 20 goals in 4 games Saturday night — WATCH THEM ALL! 0
- MLS Snapshot: Vancouver Whitecaps 1-2 D.C. United 0
- MLS Snapshot: Houston Dynamo 4-4 Sporting Kansas City 2
- MLS Snapshot: New England Revolution 4-0 Real Salt Lake 0
- MLS Snapshot: Columbus Crew SC 4-1 Philadelphia Union 1
- Premier League roundup: Tense Saturday, as relegation battle intensifies 0