May 3, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
On Saturday Manchester City travel to Everton (Watch live on CNBC, 10 a.m. ET and online via Live Extra) as the Citizens look to take a firm grasp on the Premier League title with three games to go.
Everton know they must win to keep their top four hopes alive, so this will not be an easy test for Manuel Pellegrini’s side. City haven’t won in their last 15 trips to Goodison Park in the league and the Toffees have so often been their bogey team. Remarkably, due to playing catch up with games played, City have only led the league for eight games this season.
Can Everton do their Merseyside neighbors Liverpool a huge favor by taking points off of City and handing the title initiative to the Reds? City’s superstar squad are certainly aware that they have a glorious chance to win the crown, as for so long it seemed as though they were destine to finish second.
Everton: Howard, Baines, Stones, Jagielka, Alcaraz, Coleman, McCarthy, Osman, Barkley, Naismith, Lukaku. Subs: Robles, Hibbert, McGeady, Deulofeu, Distin, Garbutt, Ledson
Manchester City:Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany, Demichelis, Clichy, Garcia, Toure, Milner, Nasri, Dzeko, Aguero. Subs: Pantilimon, Lescott, Kolarov, Silva, Fernandinho, Negredo, Jovetic
- MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins 2
- Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool? 0
- After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings 2
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0
- VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend) 2