May 4, 2014, 7:29 AM EDT
Liverpool may end up missing out on the Premier League title, but they’re destined for Champions League play next season. As such, the Reds will need more depth, with Brendan Rodgers estimating the club needs to bring in about six players.
Playing in Europe’s top competition will require Liverpool to spend a little to plump up their numbers, but the Champions League brings significant benefits – mainly, the ability to attract star players to the club.
“We will need to bring in players over the summer, and the great plus about being in the Champions League is that it makes it easier to attract the top ones,” says Rodgers.
But it’s not just the tournament that will bring in the best signings. According to the manager:
[Liverpool] have developed a style of football over this past year that is already being recognised. We have a way of working and a way of playing that recommends itself to leading players. We have established a reputation as a creative, attacking team that wants to win games and that should stand us in good stead.
Rodgers certainly has a point. With 96 goals scored in 36 games played, the Reds, alongside Manchester City, lead the league on that particular stat. Where Liverpool might consider investing, however, is in defense, or perhaps by bringing in a central midfielder of the destroyer-type. So far this season they’ve conceded 46 goals. That’s not the worst in the league, but it’s worse than seven other sides.
And the defense could cost Liverpool the title. Should they wind up even on points with Manchester City, it’s goal difference, not goals scored, that breaks the tie. Currently, City have a +9 advantage in that area. The outcome of the final three matches just might determine which players – and which positions – Rodgers targets over the summer.
- Steven Gerrard will play somewhere next season, Liverpool deal or not 0
- Los Angeles officially given new MLS team; Magic Johnson, Vincent Tan among investors 4
- PST Extra: Getting you ready for The Manchester Derby (video) 0
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 5
- Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler 2
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 12