May 5, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
There’s another Luis Suarez in the news today, as Honduras national team coach Luis Fernando Suarez has released his preliminary 23-man roster for the 2014 World Cup.
Suarez can add seven more names to camp, but at least four Major League Soccer players and several more names familiar to those who monitor the English game made the list.
San Jose’s Victor Bernardez, New England’s Jerry Bengtson, Colorado’s Marvin Chavez and Houston’s Boniek Garcia all made the preliminary camp, with former DC United man Andy Najar also involved (He’s now with Anderlecht).
Eight-times capped Houston Dynamo midfielder Alexander Lopez has not been called, while 22-times capped Vancouver defender Johnny Leveron is also uncalled
Honduras national team 23-man pre-World Cup camp roster
GOALKEEPERS: Noel Valladares (Olimpia), Donis Escober (Olimpia), Luis Lopez (Real España)
DEFENDERS: Arnold Peralta, Rangers (Escocia), Maynor Figueroa (Hull City), Víctor Bernardez (San Jose Earthquakes), Emilio Izaguirre (Celtic), Osman Chavez (Qingdao Jonoon), Juan Carlos García (Wigan), Bryan Beckeles (Olimpia), Juan Pablo Montes (Motagua)
MIDFIELDERS: Wilson Palacios (Stoke City), Jorge Claros (Motagua), Luis Garrido (Olimpia), Roger Espinoza (Wigan), Boniek García (Houston Dynamo), Andy Nájar (Anderlecht), Marvin Chavez (Colorado Rapids), Mario Martínez (Real España)
FORWARDS: Carlo Costly (Real Espana), Jerry Bengtson (New England Revolution), Jerry Palacios (Alajuelense), Rony Martínez (Real Sociedad)
- United States wins third Women’s World Cup title, beats Japan on record-smashing day 2
- VIDEO: Watch every goal as USA lead Japan 4-1 in crazy first half of World Cup final 1
- VIDEO: Lloyd seals amazing 16 minute hat trick with wonder goal from halfway 2
- Sunday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Manchester City ready to spend, Spurs agree for Alderweireld 0
- Sepp Blatter claims French and German presidents influenced World Cup voters 1
- United States, Japan meet in Women’s World Cup final with high hopes back home 2