May 5, 2014, 7:49 PM EST
It wasn’t lip service.
Bolton has not quit on American international midfielder Stuart Holden despite injuries limiting him to just five appearances over the past three seasons.
It was starting to look up for Holden back in February. The USMNT veteran looked like he could finally return to the lineup and Bolton was ready to offer him a new deal.
“I want to be very clear to everybody that Stuart Holden will be here in some capacity at this football club,” said Freedman. “He is such a fantastic lad and is a great ambassador for this football club. He is a giver, and I believe that this football club needs people like that. Some people are just take, take, take, but Stuart has never once talked about his situation – he only ever talks about how we can win games and that is music to my ears.”
And then came the news today from Bolton’s site, at the bottom of a post confirming the release of four players: Bolton is continuing contract talks with Holden.
It’s the latest positive sign for Holden, whose story has to be one of the biggest heartstring-pullers in American soccer, especially after his Facebook Q&A last week yielded this response:
Holden’s father fought cancer for six years, passing away in 2009.
- MLS announces home openers for 2015 season 0
- Mourinho says Eden Hazard can become an all-time great 1
- After failed odyssey abroad, Brek Shea returns to MLS with Orlando City 3
- Lille, Werder Bremen noted frontrunners for Jozy Altidore’s services 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 17 0
- Another set back for Southampton: Jay Rodriguez’s nightmare year continues 0