May 5, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT
A victory over Crystal Palace today (watch live 3:00pm ET on NBCSN and streaming via Live Extra) will be a big boost for Liverpool’s title-hopes heading into the final weekend of Premier League play.
A victory on Monday will see the Reds reclaim top spot in the league from Manchester City, who can then come level on Wednesday when they host Aston Villa. Such a scenario would set up a final weekend where both Liverpool and City would be on 83 points, meaning Chelsea (79 points) would be eliminated from contention.
If Liverpool win tonight and City win Wednesday, the title race will come down to goal differential for which City currently enjoys a nine goal advantage. It’s a difference that Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers believes his side is capable of making up, meaning they’ll have to win big today at Selhurst Park.
Rodgers has put out an offensive squad to trigger the goal rush, with Daniel Sturridge partnering Luis Suarez up top with Raheem Sterling in behind in a 4-4-2 diamond formation. Palace, safe from relegation, will feel uninhibited in their play as is reflected in Tony Pulis‘ 4-2-3-1 lineup that features an underrated attacking three of Joe Ledley, Yannick Bolasie and Jason Puncheon behind Marouane Chamakh.
Crystal Palace: Speroni, Mariappa, Dann, Delaney, Ward, Dikgacoi, Jedinak, Ledley, Bolasie, Puncheon, Chamakh.
Bench – Hennessey, Gabbidon, Parr, O’Keefe, Ince, Gayle, Murray.
Liverpool: Mignolet, Johnson, Flanagan, Skrtel, Sakho, Gerrard, Allen, Lucas, Sterling, Sturridge, Suarez
Bench – Jones, Toure, Agger, Coutinho, Aspas, Moses, Cissokho
- MLS roundup: Goals galore as Sounders, Crew SC, Galaxy cruise to three points 0
- MLS Snapshot: LA Galaxy 2-1 Sporting Kansas City 0
- MLS Snapshot: Real Salt Lake 0-1 Vancouver Whitecaps 0
- MLS Snapshot: Columbus Crew SC 3-0 Orlando City SC 4
- Premier League Sunday preview: Can Spurs, Man City find hope versus Newcastle, West Ham? 0
- Premier League roundup: Chelsea closer to title; Leicester climb off the bottom 0