Aussies exhale: Cahill says hip’s fine after Watson’s “karate kick”

May 6, 2014, 11:13 AM EDT

Cahill-Red Bulls

The tackle was horrific. Je-Vaughn Watson’s flying boot met Tim Cahill’s midsection (“just above the groin”), and the Australian star buckled onto the turf in pain. How he was able to return after the offense, one that earned Watson a red card, was surprising to say the least.

The bad news is that Cahill is in a lot of pain, but that’s a minor hiccup upon considering the New York Red Bulls midfielder looked in much worse shape.

Would his World Cup be in jeopardy? His MLS season?

Fortunately, nope. From The Herald Sun:

Cahill, 34, revealed he was almost subbed at the break such was the concern from the Red Bulls’ medical staff in what was his first start since returning from a hamstring strain.

But after a light session today he was confident of backing up for Sunday’s home clash with Chicago Fire.

“I’m ok, it was a bit touch and go and I had to come off after about 60 minutes, when it happened it scared me because it hit me on the pubis,’’ Cahill said.

“It was a karate kick, I get those challenges once or twice a year.”

It’s just bruising and scratches for Cahill, and Watson could be facing much more than that. It was a brutal move that almost looked intentional, but at-best was wildly out-of-control play. But Socceroos can breathe easier today. In a group with the Netherlands, Chile and Spain, they’ll need every bit of good fortune moving forward.

1. geojock - May 6, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Funny. Watson hacked Brad Davis a few weeks ago and force Davis to leave the game. Sounds like we know Watson’s role on FCD.

2. midtec2005 - May 6, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Watson has always been a prick. He’s just a dirty player.

3. mlsconvert88888 - May 6, 2014 at 12:17 PM

That flying kick has got to be at least a two game suspension

4. rokemi - May 6, 2014 at 4:44 PM

This article is a joke. He was not tackling Cahill. The NYB defender (name escapes me) went in to steal the ball from Watson and he jumped in the air to avoid getting hit. Cahill happened to be running by and they ran in to each other. Yes it looked nasty, but let’s not make it out like he was “karate kicking” him on purpose. It’s called incidental contact.

• Nicholas Mendola - May 6, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Watson alters where his foot would naturally land by pushing it in a downward position on a player’s groin. Reputation sure doesn’t help either. The video is linked if you want to rewatch.

• rokemi - May 6, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Watched it again. You’re foot needs to come in a downward position in order to land. Seems if you were truly doing a karate kick you would have your studs up? I think the reputation is on the other side. This has to do with it being Cahill. The MLS overprotects it stars…unless it’s Dempsey ;)

My question is what should Watson have done? not jumped in the air? taken the tackle?

• mlsconvert88888 - May 6, 2014 at 6:16 PM

I watched it again to make sure I was seeing things the first go around. With Watson in the air incidental contact is imminent and it looks to me like he intentionally moves his foot so the contact is made between his boot and Cahill’s crotch.

My comment about a two game suspension was based on it seeming similar to previous suspensions this year (Rickets kicking Brown in the stomach, or Dempsey’s crotch slap being two that share parallels)

5. rokemi - May 6, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Hard to say that he was able to do such a thing in that split second of time. Maybe so. Maybe he’s in the matrix, maybe he’s neo.

You may be right, could be a two gamer. They play tomorrow so we should know soon?

6. chadmoon1 - May 7, 2014 at 5:04 PM

I arrived at the game after the tackle and red card. I asked around and all the FCD fans seemed to not like the decision, saying it was Cahill who ran into Watson.

Now that I’ve seen it, I have to say that red was justified. You can’t go jumping into tackles, jumping into players, and exposing your cleats in this way. It could get the little man decapitated!

It’s time for FCD to stop getting these stupid send offs that leave the club unable to compete in games. Dropping too many points and losing too many players to suspension.

Breaking down Man City vs. Chelsea