May 6, 2014, 9:34 AM EDT
The injury Sergio Aguero suffered in Saturday’s win over Everton will keep the Manchester City star out of Wednesday’s critical match with Aston Villa at the Etihad Stadium.
Aguero suffered a groin strain and is considered doubtful for Championship Sunday. He has 17 Premier League goals on the season but has battled injuries in the second half of the season after a red-hot start to the season.
City is one-point behind Liverpool for the Premier League title, though the Manchester club leads the goal differential by nine and has two matches left to the Reds’ lone remaining tilt (versus Newcastle United on Sunday).
There’s plenty of attacking depth for City, but any sign of struggle coming from Manchester will be looked upon with hope from Liverpool fans, who watched their club botch a 3-0 lead on Monday at Selhurst Park. The match with Crystal Palace finished 3-3.
- Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter? 2
- Klinsmann explains philosophy behind mad scientist lineups, formations for USMNT 4
- Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video) 0
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0