May 6, 2014, 7:56 PM EDT
A point in the World Cup cycle when every morsel of news is dissected, over-analyzed, and exhausted in search of hidden meanings, U.S. Soccer and Jurgen Klinsmann have provided some fuel for fans’ fires – a message that walked the line between obscure and informative.
Discussing the considerations that will go into deciding the U.S.’s 30-man roster, Klinsmann’s spends much of this minute-long video talking about factors that transcend a player’s form. What is his fit within the team? Personality-wise, is he a “giver” or a “taker”? Ultimately, you want to look at each player from every angle, hopefully ensuring the final decision is as fair as possible.
There are no clear answers as to who will be invited to Pall Alto, Calif., but those desperate to read the pre-roster tea leaves will see hints about Eddie Johnson’s future. They’ll get some insight into Maurice Edu‘s chances to make a second World Cup. They’ll see some clues as to whether Brad Davis will be on the plane.
For the rest of us, this clip, made available on MLS Soccer’s web site, provides some idea of weight that’s on Jurgen Klinsmann’s shoulders.
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 0
- Minnesota United misses MLS stadium deadline; Deputy commissioner speaks out 2
- Stoppage-time own goal sinks England, sends Japan to Women’s World Cup final 5
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 7
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 10
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0