May 6, 2014, 7:56 PM EST
A point in the World Cup cycle when every morsel of news is dissected, over-analyzed, and exhausted in search of hidden meanings, U.S. Soccer and Jurgen Klinsmann have provided some fuel for fans’ fires – a message that walked the line between obscure and informative.
Discussing the considerations that will go into deciding the U.S.’s 30-man roster, Klinsmann’s spends much of this minute-long video talking about factors that transcend a player’s form. What is his fit within the team? Personality-wise, is he a “giver” or a “taker”? Ultimately, you want to look at each player from every angle, hopefully ensuring the final decision is as fair as possible.
There are no clear answers as to who will be invited to Pall Alto, Calif., but those desperate to read the pre-roster tea leaves will see hints about Eddie Johnson’s future. They’ll get some insight into Maurice Edu‘s chances to make a second World Cup. They’ll see some clues as to whether Brad Davis will be on the plane.
For the rest of us, this clip, made available on MLS Soccer’s web site, provides some idea of weight that’s on Jurgen Klinsmann’s shoulders.
- VIDEO: Story so far… reviewing 2014-15 Premier League season at halfway point 0
- Premier League roundup: Chelsea, Man City stumble as Arsenal makes up ground 1
- Newcastle United 3-2 Everton: Thriller at St. James Park sees Magpies hold on 1
- Jose Mourinho claims there’s a “campaign” against Chelsea after Fabregas diving furor 4
- Manchester City 2-2 Burnley: Brave Burnley battles back behind Boyd, Barnes 0
- Three things we learned from Chelsea’s draw vs. Southampton 1