May 7, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT
The 38-game Premier League season is one match away from being completed but there are still some things to sort out…
Most notably, the Premier League title.
With Manchester City knowing just a point at home to West Ham on the final day will likely be enough to clinch their second PL crown in three years, due to their superior goal difference over second-placed Liverpool, their task is simple on Championship Sunday: win.
It has all come down to the final game, as the season that started way back in August 2013 is almost over.
Liverpool has seen their title hopes all but evaporate over the past two games, as a costly defeat to Chelsea and then a dramatic draw with Crystal Palace means the Reds must beat Newcastle at Anfield on Sunday and hope West Ham beat City to stand any chance of winning their first title in 24 years. Brendan Rodgers‘ men won’t be holding their breath.
After the midweek matches, below are the title, Europa League and relegation scenarios entering Championship Sunday.
Premier League Title:
- If Manchester City beat West Ham on Sunday, they will win the title
- If Manchester City draw against West Ham on Sunday, they are all but assured of winning the title because of far superior goal difference over Liverpool
- If Liverpool beat Newcastle and Manchester City lose against West Ham on Sunday, Liverpool will win the Premier League title
- Chelsea have been officially eliminated from title contention
- Tottenham will qualify for Europa League unless Manchester United win and Tottenham lose on Sunday.
- Sunderland have clinched safety with win against West Brom
- Norwich City are all but assured of being relegated due to far inferior goal difference
Jul 25, 2014, 1:21 AM EDT
Olmes Garcia’s second half double lifted RSL.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
Introduced to the media in Houston, Beasley said he’s move on from midfield.
Jul 24, 2014, 10:24 PM EDT
With Wenger interview, SI had to get Zelalem out of the way first.
Jul 24, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Reds’ owner does not want a repeat of last year’s weaknesses.
Jul 24, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
NBC Sports and Fathom Events are taking Premier League soccer to the big screen.
Jul 24, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
Balotelli, Honda, Muntari, and more from the Rossoneri’s N.Y. training.
Jul 24, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
Pinto will depart after failing to come to new terms with the federation.
Jul 24, 2014, 6:12 PM EDT
After appearing three times at Brazil 2014, Besic is set to add depth behind Gareth Barry and James McCarthy.
Jul 24, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
Adu close to joining the 10th club in his 11-year career.
Jul 24, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
After seeing time with the senior squad, 18-year-old prospect will be sidelined indefinitely.
Jul 24, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
The Colombian striker takes a few hacks before AS Monaco’s friendly in Miami against Atletico National.
Jul 24, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Limited to just 16 matches last year after his big transfer from Liverpool to West Ham, Carroll is battling another ailment this season.
Jul 24, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
The rags-to-riches defender steps away from the pitch, at least as a player, while reflecting on his career journey from North America to Europe and back.
Jul 24, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
Herrera chats exclusively to PST: “If we are a humble team and we work hard, we will achieve our objectives and we will win trophies.”
Jul 24, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
His dad played for El Tri, but California-born Fernando Arce Jr says his U-20 bow with the States makes him an American player “forever”
Jul 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Aston Villa, Manchester United and Manchester City all cruised, while Spurs had to find a late winner after coughing up a two-goal lead.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
What about the Premier League? Bundesliga? Serie A?
Jul 24, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Goran Milanovic is hoping the former American prodigy chooses to revitalize his career with FK Jagodina in the Serbian top flight.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
One of the best stories is United States men’s soccer history is about to move past the “playing career” chapter.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
How big of a deal is the Chelsea legend signing for New York City FC? It’s up there.
- DaMarcus Beasley, introduced in Houston: I see myself as a left back 1
- Wenger talks Zelalem, gets taste of U.S. obsession for potential international 2
- EXCLUSIVE: Manchester United’s new signing Ander Herrera focused on success 2
- Serbian boss: Freddy Adu sought by Europa, UCL clubs in Serbia, Cyprus 0
- Frank Lampard delighted to sign for New York City FC, start MLS adventure 1
- Official: Frank Lampard unveiled as New York City FC’s latest signing 5