May 7, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT
The 38-game Premier League season is one match away from being completed but there are still some things to sort out…
Most notably, the Premier League title.
With Manchester City knowing just a point at home to West Ham on the final day will likely be enough to clinch their second PL crown in three years, due to their superior goal difference over second-placed Liverpool, their task is simple on Championship Sunday: win.
It has all come down to the final game, as the season that started way back in August 2013 is almost over.
Liverpool has seen their title hopes all but evaporate over the past two games, as a costly defeat to Chelsea and then a dramatic draw with Crystal Palace means the Reds must beat Newcastle at Anfield on Sunday and hope West Ham beat City to stand any chance of winning their first title in 24 years. Brendan Rodgers‘ men won’t be holding their breath.
After the midweek matches, below are the title, Europa League and relegation scenarios entering Championship Sunday.
Premier League Title:
- If Manchester City beat West Ham on Sunday, they will win the title
- If Manchester City draw against West Ham on Sunday, they are all but assured of winning the title because of far superior goal difference over Liverpool
- If Liverpool beat Newcastle and Manchester City lose against West Ham on Sunday, Liverpool will win the Premier League title
- Chelsea have been officially eliminated from title contention
- Tottenham will qualify for Europa League unless Manchester United win and Tottenham lose on Sunday.
- Sunderland have clinched safety with win against West Brom
- Norwich City are all but assured of being relegated due to far inferior goal difference
May 27, 2015, 1:06 PM EDT
“This really is the World Cup of fraud, and today we are issuing FIFA a red card.”
May 27, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
With the Hoops heading down to the Championship, Queens Park Rangers will have a completely new look next season.
May 27, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT
They say defense wins championships, so expect to see quite a bit of Chelsea blue on this list.
May 27, 2015, 10:31 AM EDT
Atsu spent this season on loan at Everton, and it looks like the Ghanaian will be headed south to the Premier League’s newest club.
May 27, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
Sepp Blatter has served as president for 17 years and is expected to easily win reelection.
May 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Let’s take a walk through the six yard box with the Premier League’s 10 best ‘keepers for 2014-15.
May 27, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
A press conference is scheduled to be held at 10:30 a.m. ET from the U.S. Department of Justice.
May 27, 2015, 7:52 AM EDT
Texas has been hit with massive flooding that has left at least 19 dead, as soccer takes a backseat.
May 27, 2015, 6:55 AM EDT
Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch speaks about the FBI’s investigation into widespread allegations of corruption at FIFA.
FIFA fallout continues: Swiss authorities open criminal proceedings into allocation of 2018, 2022 World Cups
May 27, 2015, 6:08 AM EDT
Mark down May 27, 2015 as perhaps the lowest point in FIFA’s history.
May 27, 2015, 5:20 AM EDT
FIFA officials from CONCACAF region and South America dominate the FBI’s wanted list.
May 27, 2015, 12:44 AM EDT
An unprecedented blow to the upper tier of FIFA’s personnel structure could be the beginning of a sweeping takedown of the organization’s corrupt inner workings.
May 26, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Toronto FC has put a “projected Starting XI” on Twitter, one that includes Michael Bradley and Sebastian Giovinco.
May 26, 2015, 10:28 PM EDT
Well, the Premier League season has been over for a solid 59 hours, and we shouldn’t let it get to 60 without digging through the muck that is the transfer rumor mill.
May 26, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
All-in-all, he’s played for 11 clubs — four on loan — and only one for more than 30 matches (Standard Liege).
May 26, 2015, 8:36 PM EDT
He finished off the speech with a brilliant line regarding Chelsea, “They played from August till May and sometimes they brought the bus.”
May 26, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Chicharito’s career will make an interesting case study when all’s said and done.
May 26, 2015, 6:42 PM EDT
“Surely he knows … that outside of the voting chambers, that the world … the players and supporters, want change,” Delaney said.
May 26, 2015, 5:51 PM EDT
The USMNT faces Germany on June 10 in Cologne after a June 5 date at Amsterdam Arena against the Netherlands.
May 26, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
A great deal of clubs can find young talent on our list, as the 2014-15 season review continues.
- Three things we learned from the US Department of Justice news conference on the FIFA investigation 0
- FIFA presidential elections will go on Friday despite arrests 5
- FBI, US Department of Justice issues damning statement on FIFA, details corruption investigation 6
- FIFA fallout continues: Swiss authorities open criminal proceedings into allocation of 2018, 2022 World Cups 4
- Nine FIFA officials, including CONCACAF president, arrested in Switzerland during dawn raids 20
- Report: Multiple FIFA officials arrested in Zurich, will be extradited to United States 8