May 7, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT
The 38-game Premier League season is one match away from being completed but there are still some things to sort out…
Most notably, the Premier League title.
With Manchester City knowing just a point at home to West Ham on the final day will likely be enough to clinch their second PL crown in three years, due to their superior goal difference over second-placed Liverpool, their task is simple on Championship Sunday: win.
It has all come down to the final game, as the season that started way back in August 2013 is almost over.
Liverpool has seen their title hopes all but evaporate over the past two games, as a costly defeat to Chelsea and then a dramatic draw with Crystal Palace means the Reds must beat Newcastle at Anfield on Sunday and hope West Ham beat City to stand any chance of winning their first title in 24 years. Brendan Rodgers‘ men won’t be holding their breath.
After the midweek matches, below are the title, Europa League and relegation scenarios entering Championship Sunday.
Premier League Title:
- If Manchester City beat West Ham on Sunday, they will win the title
- If Manchester City draw against West Ham on Sunday, they are all but assured of winning the title because of far superior goal difference over Liverpool
- If Liverpool beat Newcastle and Manchester City lose against West Ham on Sunday, Liverpool will win the Premier League title
- Chelsea have been officially eliminated from title contention
- Tottenham will qualify for Europa League unless Manchester United win and Tottenham lose on Sunday.
- Sunderland have clinched safety with win against West Brom
- Norwich City are all but assured of being relegated due to far inferior goal difference
Sep 21, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
More racism was thrown at Mario Balotelli, but this time, it appears law enforcement will get involved.
Sep 21, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT
Mesut Ozil and Danny Welbeck scored and assisted each other during the Gunners 3-0 win over Aston Villa.
Sep 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Alessandro Florenzi hugged and kissed his grandmother in the Stade Olimpico stands following his goal in AS Roma’s 2-0 victory over Cagliari.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:34 PM EDT
Everton manager Roberto Martinez laments loss to Crystal Palace, saying that his squad lost its drive for victory.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
One England international paid respects to another as a legend scored an emotional goal for his new team against his old.
Sep 21, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
We didn’t see this coming, and neither did Frank Lampard.
Sep 21, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
Pablo Zabaleta’s second yellow card changed the game, but a former Chelsea legend came back to haunt them.
Sep 21, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
Everton started early and saw much of the ball but Crystal Palace got a few breaks and took advantage to pick up their first win of the season.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:21 AM EDT
Mario Balotelli put an LOL up on Twitter at Manchester United’s expense, and subjected himself to some horrible racial abuse.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
Despite heavy defeat, United’s new attacker scores goal of the season contender.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Everton has sewn the seeds for a good run of form and are hoping to build on recent success against a struggling Palace squad.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT
Diego Costa hsa been in fantastic form to begin his Premier League career, and has the chance to fire Chelsea five points clear at the top of the table.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
Manchester United were left shell-shocked after blowing a 3-1 lead against Premier League minnows.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Spurs offered little as James Morrison propelled West Brom off the bottom of the table.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:33 AM EDT
Championship side Leeds is dipping into Eastern Europe to find their new manager.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:53 AM EDT
King Power Stadium is bursting with attacking skill as three goals have come within the opening 20 minutes.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:07 AM EDT
Mauricio Pochettino has to navigate a pair of fixtures in four days thanks to the Europa League, and will look to avoid the first defeat to West Brom at White Hart Lane in 30 years.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:48 AM EDT
Radamel Falcao makes his first start for Manchester United who look to build on a strong win last weekend.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:25 AM EDT
Strootman has hired a man with a solid reputation to try and bring down Roma’s insane asking price.
Sep 21, 2014, 1:55 AM EDT
Highlights and recaps from the seven-match night in Major League Soccer.
- Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO) 0
- Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Frank Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer 1
- Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter 4
- Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Foxes complete comeback for the ages 7
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0