May 7, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT
The 38-game Premier League season is one match away from being completed but there are still some things to sort out…
Most notably, the Premier League title.
With Manchester City knowing just a point at home to West Ham on the final day will likely be enough to clinch their second PL crown in three years, due to their superior goal difference over second-placed Liverpool, their task is simple on Championship Sunday: win.
It has all come down to the final game, as the season that started way back in August 2013 is almost over.
Liverpool has seen their title hopes all but evaporate over the past two games, as a costly defeat to Chelsea and then a dramatic draw with Crystal Palace means the Reds must beat Newcastle at Anfield on Sunday and hope West Ham beat City to stand any chance of winning their first title in 24 years. Brendan Rodgers‘ men won’t be holding their breath.
After the midweek matches, below are the title, Europa League and relegation scenarios entering Championship Sunday.
Premier League Title:
- If Manchester City beat West Ham on Sunday, they will win the title
- If Manchester City draw against West Ham on Sunday, they are all but assured of winning the title because of far superior goal difference over Liverpool
- If Liverpool beat Newcastle and Manchester City lose against West Ham on Sunday, Liverpool will win the Premier League title
- Chelsea have been officially eliminated from title contention
- Tottenham will qualify for Europa League unless Manchester United win and Tottenham lose on Sunday.
- Sunderland have clinched safety with win against West Brom
- Norwich City are all but assured of being relegated due to far inferior goal difference
Sep 30, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Which player ensured it would be back-to-back honors for a single team in the Premier League’s player of the week battle?
Sep 30, 2014, 9:13 AM EDT
The result of the weekend, however, was L.A.’s 4-0 defeat of the New York Red Bulls, and several players deserved Man of the Match honors.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Maybe, just maybe, Newcastle will win against Swansea City this week and take another step toward getting well.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:52 AM EDT
FC Santa Claus is bringing soccer matches to the good boys and girls of the Ykkonen.
Sep 29, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
Sepp Blatter confirmed FIFA voted strongly to eliminate third-party ownership in all professional settings, with a transitional period of a few years to be instituted immediately.
Sep 29, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
The Men discussed all things Premier League on this week’s episode, including Phil Jagielka, Wayne Rooney, and a Peter Crouch chicken dance.
Sep 29, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
With plenty of tournament success, the Mexican youth is turning the head of the senior team’s manager.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
Things surrounding Newcastle’s managerial position have become increasingly untenable.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
If PSG fail to make serious noise against top Champions League clubs, Laurent Blanc could be on his way out of Paris.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Making $400,000 more than anyone else in the league, Kaka is set to lead Orlando City into MLS with a colossal paycheck.
Sep 29, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
With MLS movement at a high, the controversial Malaysian expressed his wishes to enter the US realm
Sep 29, 2014, 5:51 PM EDT
He’s out with a broken tibia, but Giroud still remains vital to Arsenal’s long-term success.
Sep 29, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
According to an ESPN report, Chivas will take at least a 2-year break to allow for a rebrand to occur and a new stadium to be built.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:54 PM EDT
Peter Crouch’s early header put Stoke up early as Alan Pardew’s job security took another hit.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
He hasn’t managed to pick out a start for the Red Devils’ senior side, but getting minutes for the U-21’s, he showed off his bright talents.
Sep 29, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
After playing over an hour for the U-21 team this weekend, Paul Lambert will have Benteke available for selection against Manchester City.
Sep 29, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Gunners lose star midfielder for a month after hamstring injury.
Sep 29, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
All eyes on Pardew. Watch Stoke host Newcastle, right here.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Klinsmann to select NASL star for October camp?
Sep 29, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
Watch Stoke vs. Newcastle live on Monday at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
- PST’s MLS Player of the Week: An L.A. Galaxy guy for sure, but who? 0
- WATCH: Men In Blazers recap derby weekend, visit with Brandon McCarthy 0
- MLS salaries released, showing Kaka nets MLS-record $7.1 million 4
- Report: Chivas USA to suspend operations for at least 2 years 3
- Stoke City 1-0 Newcastle: Crouch’s header sinks Newcastle, Pardew deeper (video) 0
- Report: Minnesota United’s Miguel Ibarra to get US national team call-up 2