May 7, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
There’s still some sorting out to do before Major League Soccer teams join the 2014 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, so there are “minnows” at work while the Canadian MLS clubs contend the Canadian Championship semifinals tonight.
It’s an All-MLS matchup at BMO Field, where Toronto FC will try to find its form when they host the Vancouver Whitecaps in the first leg of their semi at 7:30pm ET. Vancouver will field a relatively-young squad, while Toronto has included big names like Michael Bradley on its roster.
The other semi first leg features the Montreal Impact heading west to take on FC Edmonton at 9:30pm ET. The two teams last met in 2011, when Montreal swept the series 7-0 on aggregate.
Over to the 2014 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, which has 16 teams playing for the right to go to the second round. The New York Red Bulls’ NPSL side and and Warren Barton’s NPSL side the San Diego Flash are the two of the biggest names at play.
GPS Portland Phoenix (PDL) vs FC Sonic Lehigh Valley (NPSL)
Detroit City FC (NPSL) vs. RWB Adria (USASA)
Western Mass Pioneers (PDL) vs. Mass Premier Soccer (USASA)
New York Red Bulls (NPSL) vs. Vermont Voltage (PDL)
Colorado Rovers (USSSA) vs. Red Force FC (USASA)
Ventura County Fusion (PDL) vs. CD Aguiluchos (NPSL)
San Diego Flash (NPSL) vs. Corinthians USA (US Club Soccer)
PSA Elite (USASA) vs. Los Angeles Misioneros (PDL)
The second round on May 13-14 features more NPSL, PDL and USASA teams, while adding USL Pro squads. The NASL joins in the third round, followed by Major League Soccer in the fourth.
- Chicago Fire 2-1 Houston Dynamo: Stoppage-time winner caps off Chicago comeback (VIDEO) 0
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 1
- Introducing: “The 2 Robbies ‘Football’ Show” on NBCSportsRadio.com 0