May 7, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Just two matches separate Manchester City from the Premier League title, but Aston Villa will hope to complete an upset that would involve their first series sweep in 50-plus years when the two teams tangle at the Etihad Stadium on Wednesday. (Watch live at 2:45pm ET on NBCSN and online via NBC Sports Live Extra).
City can leapfrog Liverpool for first place in the table with a win, and even a draw would push them into first place on goal differential. The Reds have 81 points, while City enters the game with 80.
Villa last did the double over City in 1963, and would relish the chance to capitalize on the confidence gained by ensuring their Premier League safety with a 3-1 weekend win over Hull City.
In team news Man City bring in David Silva and Aleksandar Kolarov to replace Sergio Aguero and Gael Clichy, while Villa bring in Jordan Bowery and Karim El Ahmadi for Gabby Agbonlahor and Marc Albrighton.
Aston Villa: Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Clark, Baker, Bertrand, Westwood, Delph, El Ahmadi, Weimann, Bowery. Subs: Steer, Bacuna, Sylla, Holt, Robinson, Grealish, Tonev
- Report: Manchester United, PSG agree to $70 million fee for Angel di Maria 1
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 Vancouver Whitecaps (video) 0
- MLS Snapshot: Orlando City SC 5-2 Columbus Crew SC (video) 0
- MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 6-4 Real Salt Lake (video) 0
- Premier League friendly roundup: Man City lose in Germany, Liverpool win in Finland 0
- Brendan Rodgers says $50 million for Christian Benteke was a bargain 0