May 8, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Story so far… The Gunners were set to make a charge for the title, and many Arsenal fans were claiming destiny well into February, as Arsene Wenger‘s club posted big wins over Spurs and Liverpool (let alone Napoli, Dortmund and Marseille in the UEFA Champions League).
That month turned into a bit of a bad dream, for Gooners everywhere, as Arsenal was thumped by Liverpool 5-1 and lost in the first leg of its UCL tie with Bayern Munich. By late March it was a full-blown nightmare, with 6-0 and 3-0 losses to Chelsea and Everton sandwiched around draws against Manchester City and Swansea City. Now settled into fourth place, Arsenal must look to the summer… but first they have the small matter of picking up their first trophy in nine years as they face Hull City in the FA Cup final.
Who do they play and where can I watch it: Arsenal heads to Carrow Road to face a Norwich City club that will need a miracle of the historical and highest-scoring order to stay in the Premier League. Watch the game at 10am ET on MSNBC or live online via NBC Sports Live Extra.
Form guide: Arsenal beat Norwich 4-1 at the Emirates in October, and the Gunners have won four straight since losing to Everton in early April.
March 29 – vs. Manchester City, D 1-1
April 6 – at Everton, L 0-3
April 15 – vs. West Ham United, W 3-1
April 20 – at Hull City, W 3-0
April 28 – vs. Newcastle United, W 3-0
May 4 – vs. West Bromwich Albion, W 1-0
What’s at stake: Arsenal will finish in fourth-place unless Chelsea loses at Cardiff City and erases 18 goals worth of differential. So, fourth-place.
When the final whistle blows: Arsenal is already turning its attention to next year, as Wenger says he’ll be back. Will he break the bank for Edinson Cavani from PSG in an attempt to erase the gloom of nearly choking away Champions League qualification?
- Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO) 0
- Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer (video) 1
- Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter 5
- Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Foxes complete comeback for the ages (video) 10
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0