May 8, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Story so far… Give Cardiff owner Vincent Tan this: he earned plenty of headlines for a club that will only dance this Premier League tango for one season. From free-spending on players from all over the world to firing Malky Mackay, not to mention tempting fashion magazines with his “jersey tucked into slacks” look, the Bluebirds made noise all season (even if mostly for the wrong reasons).
Oddly enough, Cardiff was safe when Mackay was sacked on Dec. 27. But West Ham, Sunderland and Crystal Palace all surged forward by the end of the season, while the Bluebirds sank. Cardiff went 4W-5D-9L under Mackay, including a 3-2 win over Manchester City in its PL home opener and a 1-0 home win in the South Wales derby but those were half his wins. In the 19 games since, the Bluebirds have gone 3W-4D-12L despite injections of talent from Manchester United, Norway and other locales.
Who do they play and where can I watch it: Cardiff hosts Chelsea in what’s sure to be an interesting day for the crowd at Cardiff City Stadium. Watch the game at 10am ET on CNBC or live online via NBC Sports Live Extra.
Form guide: Cardiff fell to Chelsea 4-1 at the Emirates in mid-October.
March 29 – at West Bromwich Albion, D 3-3
April 5 – vs. Crystal Palace, L 0-3
April 12 – at Southampton, L 0-1
April 19 – vs. Stoke City, D 1-1
April 27 – at Sunderland, L 0-4
May 3 – at Newcastle United, L 0-3
What’s at stake: Cardiff’s putting the wrong type of championship in “Championship Sunday” relegated to the second-tier of English soccer. Their opponents, Chelsea, can finish second with a win and a Liverpool loss.
When the final whistle blows: Cardiff City will be back in the Championship, lamenting the “what ifs?” of a controversy-ridden season.
- Jose Mourinho to Schalke after Chelsea’s 5-0 win: “It’s not your fault” 0
- Bob Bradley’s talks with a Swedish club have broken down; Staying at Stabaek? 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Chelsea win group, Man City’s late show, classy PSG 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Bayern Munich: Aguero’s hat trick hands Citizens lifeline 4
- Schalke 0-5 Chelsea: Blues with an untouchable performance against old boss 0
- Lionel Messi breaks Raul’s record for Champions League goals (video) 0