May 8, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Story so far… The most optimistic Everton fans are confirming they are back, but even those skeptical of Roberto Martinez‘s success in his first year at Goodison Park have to applaud the Spaniard. In addition to leading Everton into Europe, he looked poised to leapfrog Everton for the fourth Champions League spot as recently as mid-April.
American goalkeeper Tim Howard has had another strong season for the Toffees, but their outfield players are the ones who’ve really upped their game. Despite missing a handful of key players for a month or more in Leighton Baines, Romelu Lukaku and Kevin Mirallas amongst others, Everton’s been strong. Ross Barkley‘s been a revelation in the midfield. Even on his off-days, the 20-year-old English youngster shows you something.
Who do they play and where can I watch it: Everton heads to Hull City to finish a European-qualifying season. Watch the game at 10am ET on Bravo or live online via NBC Sports Live Extra.
Form guide: Everton bested Hull 2-1 at Goodison Park in mid-October.
April 6 – vs. Arsenal, W 3-0
April 12 – at Sunderland, W 1-0
April 16 – vs. Crystal Palace, L, 2-3
April 20 – vs. Manchester United, W 2-0
April 26 – at Southampton, L 0-2
May 3 – vs. Manchester City, L 2-3
What’s at stake: Not a terrible amount. A win gives them the club’s most points since 1987-88. Everton is already enjoying its most productive season in the Premier League. A win would be its 20th, the most since 1986-87 (26 wins).
When the final whistle blows: Everton will celebrate a fine season, try to hold onto its stars through the summer and build up the squad for Europe. David who?
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Manchester City 0
- VIDEO: PST Extra – What should we expect from the Premier League’s promoted three? 0
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Liverpool 2
- VIDEO: Chelsea’s Eden Hazard dances around Barcelona to score magical goal 0
- Chelsea 2-2 Barcelona: Good-looking goals to spare in Maryland (video) 3
- Official: Miguel Herrera fired by Mexico days after Gold Cup win, alleged attack on journalist 18