May 8, 2014, 7:41 AM EDT
South Korea head coach Hong Myung-bo has announced the roster he will use to try and surprise the world in a Group H with Belgium, Russia and Algeria at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Not only did Ki Seung-yeung clinch Premier League safety for on-loan club Sunderland, but the midfielder is headed to the World Cup as one of three current PL players on the squad.
Cardiff’s Kim Bo-kyoung wasn’t so lucky to be safe from the drop, but joins Ki, as does Arsenal’s Park Chu-young. Park has appeared just once for the Gunners since 2011, taking loan stints at Celta Vigo and Watford, but scored six goals in World Cup qualification.
This will be the first World Cup for South Korea without mainstay Park Ji-sung, the former Manchester United star who retired from international soccer in 2011.
Another Park, Park Joo-ho of Mainz 05, is probably the highest-profile snub.
Goalkeepers: Jung Sung-ryeong (Suwon Bluewings), Kim Seung-gyu (Ulsan Horang-i), Lee Bom-young (Busan I’Park)
Defenders: Kim Jin-soo (Albirex Niigata), Yun Suk-young (QPR), Kim Young-kwon (Guangzhou Evergrande), Hwang Seok-ho (Sanfrecce Hiroshima), Hong Jeong-ho (Augsburg), Kwak Tae-hwi (Al Hilal), Lee Yong (Ulsan Horang-i), Kim Chang-soo (Kashiwa Reysol).
Midfielders: Ki Seung-yeung (Sunderland), Ha Dae-sung (Beijing Guoan), Han Kook-young (Kashiwa Reysol), Park Jung-woo (Guangzhou R&F), Son Heung-min (Bayer Leverkusen), Kim Bo-kyoung (Cardiff City), Lee Chung-yong (Bolton Wanderers), Ji Dong-won (Augsburg).
Forwards: Koo Ja-cheol (Mainz), Lee Keun-ho (Sangju Sangmu), Park Chu-young (Arsenal), Kim Shin-wook (Ulsan Horang-i).
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man United looking for revenge vs. Swansea City 0
- Premier League roundup: Chelsea, Liverpool suffer stunning home defeats 0
- Tim Howard ready for USMNT return, as heroics rescue Everton 1
- Three things we learned from Tottenham Hotspur vs. Everton 2
- Liverpool 0-3 West Ham United: Hammers stun Reds at Anfield in fiery encounter 2
- Chelsea 1-2 Crystal Palace: Blues stunned at home by Eagles 5