May 9, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
Story so far… Things were going swimmingly for Alan Pardew and Newcastle earlier this season, as the Magpies flirted with the top four around the festive period. Then the wheels came off, massively. A run of six-straight defeats, after Pardew had been handed a hefty ban due to head-butting an opposition player, saw the fans turn on their manager, the owner and then finally their club. Loic Remy has been the star man, as the on-loan Frenchman has scored 14 goals in 29 appearances. He won’t stick around next season and its highly unlikely that Pardew will be around too.
Will under-fire owner Mike Ashley sell the club or continue to battle on despite protests at every game from Newcastle’s fans? A turbulent time awaits this summer on the Tyne after a season that promised so much has delivered very little.
Who do they play and where can I watch it: Newcastle have the chance to throw a massive spanner in the works of Liverpool’s title bid as the Magpies travel to Anfield on the final day of the season. These two clubs have played out some of the PL’s most exciting matches in history. Tune into NBCSN to watch live at 10 a.m. to see if they can repeat it and stream the game online via NBC Sports Live Extra.
Form guide: Earlier on this season Liverpool had a torrid time at St. James’ Park as they drew 2-2 just before Newcastle’s best spell of the campaign when they won all four games in November. They have been on a horrendous run of late with six defeats in a row until they beat Cardiff City last weekend.
What’s at stake: The highest they can finish is in ninth, while defeat to Liverpool could see the St. James’ Park club finish in tenth if Stoke beat West Brom away from home.
When the final whistle blows: I expect Newcastle to finish in ninth but after in an incredible tail-spin to end the season, don’t be surprised if wholesale changes arrive at St. James’ this summer. The PL’s second longest serving manager, Pardew, is walking on thin ice. It is getting thinner by the second as the fans revolt in the North East.
- How did David de Gea’s move to Real Madrid collapse? Here’s a few answers 1
- Big Spenders: Which Premier League clubs must go all-in on transfer deadline day? 1
- Done Deals: Recapping Man United (and others’) busy day — De Gea drama; Chicharito out; $56 million for Martial 0
- NO DEAL: David de Gea’s transfer to Real Madrid falls through as Man United paperwork arrives too late 7
- Report: De Gea moving to Madrid as Costa Rican hero Navas heads to Old Trafford 4
- Fireworks as transfer deadline passes in Germany: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Januzaj to Dortmund 2