May 9, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
The Championship playoffs are under way, and QPR take a slight advantage to Loftus Road for the second leg as it finished scoreless today at DW Stadium.
Rangers goalkeeper Robert Green made some great saves including one off Jordi Gomez, and Clint Hill got away with a questionable tackle early on as the home side were on top for much of the match and are set up nicely for the second leg.
That save, in the 42nd minute, was the first shot on target of the match, and that’s about all you need to know from this first leg. It wasn’t exciting, but the second time around should be.
Joey Barton’s shot from 30 yards out with five minutes to go just about summed up the match, sailing it well over. So much for Harry Redknapp saying they’d “have a go” at their opponents.
Wigan put on two more strikers with 15 minutes to go, but they couldn’t break down QPR who defended for much of the game.
With more on the line at Loftus Road, things will certainly open up (we hope). Wigan failed to beat the packed box QPR threw out on the road, and now they’ll have to get past a side that’s very good at home. Rangers conceded just 18 goals at home while scoring 38, meanwhile they had a negative differential on the road, so those suggest the home side could be in a good position.
The winner of this match will match up with the victor from the other semifinal between Derby and Brighton Hove & Albion. Derby has a 2-1 lead traveling to Brighton for the second leg on Sunday.
- VIDEO: “I Was There” visits LA Blues and LA Red Army for Chelsea’s win over United 0
- VIDEO: Bayern Munich’s Thomas Muller grabs megaphone, leads fans’ celebrations 3
- Bayern Munich 6-1 (7-4, agg.) FC Porto: Bayern obliterate Porto to reach UCL semifinal 2
- Barcelona 2-0 (5-1, agg.) Paris Saint-Germain: Neymar brace eases Barca into Champions League semifinals 0
- FOLLOW LIVE – Champions League: Bayern Munich, PSG aim to overturn 3-1 deficits to Barcelona, FC Porto 0
- Chris Smalling signs new Manchester United contract through 2019 0