VIDEO: Rebecca Lowe translates soccer (football) terms for Americans

May 9, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT

The host of Premier League on NBC, Rebecca Lowe, gives you a quick lesson on how to pronounce soccer (ahem, football) terms in the video above.

Lowe also translates some jargon and rights a few wrongs in the latest installment of “30 seconds to know” by Xerox.

Nothing better than a bit of tongue in cheek banter on a Friday courtesy of our pals in the soccer studio.

“Cheers Rebecca…” that’s right, isn’t it?

1. Ben Saufley - May 9, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Isn’t a “strip” (like a “kit”) the uniform? I thought the Brits just called jerseys “shirts” or “tops” (heh).

Anyway, I’m so done with this prescriptive dialects thing. It’s one thing to discuss misused words and poor grammar, but it’s another to decide that one dialect is just simply more correct than another. The British invented the word “soccer” but since they more recently trended away from it, all of a sudden anyone who uses it is wrong? Eh. Pitch or field, soccer or football, cleat or boot… it doesn’t matter, they’re different words for the same things. I like language, and I love having new words for things, new ways to express things. Why do we have to have only one way?

• konmtu - May 9, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Amen!

• Vnice - May 9, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Man, do I agree with this. I hate how the Brits disowned the word “soccer”, when they were the ones who created it.

2. dws110 - May 9, 2014 at 4:05 PM

“Pla…seriously?” The payoff made the whole thing worth it.

3. footballer4ever - May 11, 2014 at 3:04 PM

I disagree with the most likely Not For Lterates fans who take offense that “soccer” as they know it it’s called football. It’s more embarrassing calling a “sport” “football/American football” from English origins than being original and calling it eggball, throwball or throw-up which it’s more fitting. In any language you inquire, it’s translations go back to the root of football. The fact nfl is popular in the states does not override the football played and loved around the world. “Soccer”, psst, whatever!

Week 3: Saturday Premier League recap