May 10, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed that Cristiano Ronaldo will miss Sunday’s visit to Celta Vigo, having injured himself in Wednesday’s outing. That means los blancos will be without their top scorer in a match that’s essential to their pursuit of the Spanish title.
It’s been said that no one really wants the La Liga title. After all, last weekend a last minute goal from Getafe meant Barcelona picked up just a point. Then Atlético Madrid lost 2-0 to mid-table side Levante. Real Madrid followed all this up with a 1-1 draw against Valladolid, who’d begun that Wednesday evening in the relegation zone.
What on earth?
Real Madrid are likely kicking themselves for having allowed that late equalizer from Valladolid. Had they managed to keep hold of all three points, they’d be second right now, two points back of their city rivals, Atleti. Instead they’re third, a point behind Barcelona.
That means Real’s fate is no longer in their own hands. Should Atlético beat Málaga, Real would not be able to reach them, and the title would be decided when Atleti visit Barcelona on the final match day.
Still, Los Merengues remain in the race, and they’ll want to do whatever it takes to get the win, just in case the Anchovies give them a hand against Atleti. Real still have firepower from the likes of Karim Benzema and Gareth Bale. And they just might get a boost from the return of Sami Khedira, who will make his first appearance since picking up an injury on international duty back in November.
- FIFA ethics committee bans 11 current, former officials from all football-related activities 0
- UEFA calls for postponement of FIFA presidential election, threatens to boycott congress 4
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter releases first statement since overnight arrests 9
- Three things we learned from the US Department of Justice news conference on the FIFA investigation 4
- FIFA presidential elections will go on Friday despite arrests 5
- FBI, US Department of Justice issues damning statement on FIFA, details corruption investigation 8