May 10, 2014, 8:59 AM EST
Barcelona haven’t had the best of seasons. Out of the Champions League in the quarter-finals thanks to those upstarts Atlético Madrid. Nearly out of the title race thanks, again, to Atleti. Absolutely out of the Copa del Rey after a 2-1 defeat to Real Madrid.
Barca’s performances in recent seasons, combined with their successful history in general, has led to a culture of expectation around the club. The criticism from both the media and the fans often grows harsher and harsher which each perceived “failure” by the team.
Dani Alves has been a particular target for those wishing to vent about Barcelona’s disappointing season. The Brazilian joined Barcelona in 2008, with the club shelling out the highest transfer fee ever paid for a defender. Six years on, rumors are that Barcelona are ready for the 31-year-old to move on – and that he has, in fact, already agreed to join Paris Saint-Germain.
While Alves won’t confirm whether he’s off to Paris, he has made it extremely clear that he will not stay at Barcelona unless the atmosphere surrounding the club changes drastically:
It takes a lot to get to Barcelona, and whoever it hurts I am part of the history of this club. I need energy, it is what moves me, I am a happy person. I have always been like that, but when the results not being as people expected there have to be shots fired, and I feel fired at. If you begin to feel the energy is negative, then things do not flow. If this energy does not change, for sure I will leave because it takes a lot out of you. For me to stay this summer the energy would have to change.
It’s certainly sounding as though next season’s Barcelona will be out another familiar face…
- Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Atsu and Bony lead Ghana, Ivory Coast into semis 0
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Spurs to snatch Laporte, Liverpool in for Reid 1
- Southampton 0-1 Swansea: Shelvey snatches win with sensational late strike 0
- Arsenal 5-0 Aston Villa: Gunners torch hapless Villa with deadly counters 0
- Diego Costa maintains his innocence, says “I’ve not done anything wrong” 4
- DONE DEAL: Seydou Doumbia to Roma headlines quiet Saturday for transfers 0