May 11, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
It was a light weekend for Americans overseas and south of the border, but there were still goals to be found and wins to be had for the Yanks abroad… not to mention time for last-minute pleas to Jurgen Klinsmann
Terrence Boyd now has 20 goals this season at Rapid Wien, as the young American striker continues to impress in form ahead of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Boyd’s goal in Rapid’s 5-2 win over Josko Ried was his 15th in Austrian Bundesliga play to go with five goals scored in the Europa League. Those goals came against Genk, Thun, Asteras and Dynamo Kiev.
Bob Bradley‘s Stabaek side scored thrice early and held on for a 3-2 win over Sarpsborg. Michael Stephens came on for the final 33 minutes, picking up a yellow card in that half-hour plus.
After warming up the Nantes crowd with an American college hoops chant, Ale Bedoya played 78 minutes in the Canaries 3-1 loss to Saint Etienne.
In the Premier League, Tim Howard posted a career-best 15th shutout as Everton finished its season with a 2-0 win over Hull City, while Geoff Cameron helped Stoke City jump Newcastle for the ninth-spot in the top flight with a 2-1 win at West Bromwich Albion.
Brad Guzan had another forgettable day as Tottenham Hotspur thrashed Paul Lambert‘s Aston Villa side 3-0. Over at Sunderland, Jozy Altidore played only six minutes at the end of a miserable season for the Black Cats. Sunderland lost 3-1 to Swansea City.
John Anthony Brooks went 90 minutes for Hertha Berlin, but his team was crushed 4-0 by visiting Borussia Dortmund as the Bundesliga season came to a close. Fabian Johnson played 75 minutes in Hoffenheim’s 3-0 win over Eintracht Braunschweig.
- Lessons from 2010 say U.S. squad as much about opportunity, circumstances as youth 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Familiar faces jostle for the top spot – Week 1 2
- U.S. roster for Czech Republic: Quick look at some of the newer names 4
- Plenty of surprises in US national team roster for Czech Republic friendly 1
- Analysis: Arsenal, Manchester City handed tough Champions League draw 1
- Full draw: European giants collide as UEFA Champions League groups set 7