May 11, 2014, 8:52 AM EDT
After several incidents of racism across European soccer this season, now fans in Serie A have acted disgracefully.
Fans of Italian top-flight side Atalanta appear to have thrown a banana at AC Milan’s Kevin Constant and Milan players Philippe Mexes and Nigel de Jong respond angrily to the section of fans were the banana was thrown from.
Dutch international de Jong then picked up the banana thrown onto the pitch and ate it, in a similar response to what FC Barcelona defender Dani Alves did just days ago.
A huge campaign was launched to try and stamp racism out of soccer after the incident involving Alves, the latest disgraceful show of racism in soccer is hard to believe.
AC Milan have several black players including the likes of Mario Balotelli who has been the subject of racist abuse in Serie A on numerous occasions during his career.
Below is a picture tweeted out of the incident, as de Jong can be seen picking up the banana, eating it and throwing it away to try and stamp out the impact of the despicable action from what is believed to be Atalanta fans.
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: PST’s Player of the Season 2
- Al-Hussein, Blatter address voters ahead of presidential election; First vote coming 2
- U-20 World Cup preview: The groups, the favorites, USA outlook and the game’s future stars 3
- Gulati: U.S. Soccer will vote for Prince Ali bin Al-Hussein in FIFA election, not Sepp Blatter 8
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: Summer transfer needs 4
- Premier League 2014-15 review – Top 10 games of the season 4