May 11, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
The Premier League title went down to the final day of the season, and there was only going to be one outcome.
Manchester City have been crowned Premier League champions for the second time in their history after the Citizens beat West Ham United 2-0 on Sunday with another win on the final day of a campaign to seal the title.
In his first season in charge at the Etihad Stadium Chilean manager Manuel Pellegrini has delivered the title as his City side outlasted Liverpool to clinch the silverware by two points on the final day of the campaign.
City finished the season on 86 points as they won five of their last six matches to see off their rivals and be crowned champions. Their attacking prowess often blew teams away as they scored 102 goals on their way to winning it all and also had the second best defensive record in the PL.
Sergio Aguero, despite missing over two months of the campaign through injury, finished as their top scorer with 28 goals in all competitions, while Edin Dzeko has scored 26 times, Yaya Toure has added a staggering 24 goals from central midfield and Alvaro Negredo has bagged 23 goals.
Going into the final game of the season City knew a point at home against West Ham would be enough, due to their vastly superior goal difference over Liverpool, to win the title and they eased to victory after goals from Samir Nasri‘s and Vincent Kompany either side of half time.
The Etihad erupted at the final whistle as the home fans ran on the pitch to celebrate the clubs fourth English title in their long history. City’s famous “Blue Moon: anthem will be belted out for many days to come in Manchester as the Citizens have struck gold.
Manchester City are your 2013-14 Premier League champions.
- Los Angeles officially given new MLS team; Magic Johnson, Vincent Tan among investors 4
- PST Extra: Getting you ready for The Manchester Derby (video) 0
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 4
- Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler 2
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 12
- Timbers’ Steve Zakuani announces retirement from professional soccer 3