May 11, 2014, 7:23 AM EDT
Get ready for another summer of rumors surrounding Liverpool’s star forward Luis Suarez.
The transfer mill has already started churning our rumblings of a move this summer for the Uruguayan ace after his sensational season at Anfield.
Suarez, 27, has won both the PFA and Football Writers’ Player of the Year award and has scored 31 goals in the PL this campaign to lead Liverpool’s unlikely title charge. Suarez has been sensational after a summer of turmoil and unrest last year, when many believed he had no future at Anfield.
However after a scintillating campaign as the PL’s hottest striker, reports are linking Suarez with a $100 million transfer to Real Madrid this summer.
After signing a new long-term deal at Anfield earlier this season and playing with the freedom and panache of a player enjoying his soccer in his prime, it would seem like a strange move for Suarez to leave Liverpool now. He has helped deliver UEFA Champions League soccer back to the club and is a focal point of Brendan Rodger’s revolution with the Reds.
If Real Madrid do come calling, will Suarez be able to turn them down?
In the past he has spoken about his love for Real and the Spanish game and last summer he was thought to be holding out for a bid from Madrid than never arrived due to their transfer kitty being spent on Gareth Bale. Yet this summer Suarez may be top of Real’s wishlist as they aim to add to their galaxy of stars at the Santiago Bernabeu.
There is one small problem: Liverpool owner John W. Henry has previously stated time and time again that Suarez is not for sale and the Reds don’t need to cash in on their prized possession. $100 million is a lot of money and Suarez is certainly worth it. Let’s see if this rumor gathers pace over the summer and if Real can land their man.
- Full list of every transfer made by Premier League clubs during the Summer Transfer Window 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 1
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 4
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0
- How did David de Gea’s move to Real Madrid collapse? Here’s a few answers 3