May 11, 2014, 3:31 PM EST
Our editor Joe Prince-Wright asked if there was a punishment for winning La Liga, and that question seems even more relevant on Sunday after the big three collected two out of nine points for the second consecutive week.
Barcelona — yes, Barcelona — could not find a goal on the road at Elche. Despite the Blaugranas out-attempting the hosts 20-6, and holding Elche to zero shots on frame, the teams shared the points with a 0-0 score line.
Real Madrid seized that opportunity by… losing at Celta Vigo. Thirty-year-old Charles Dias de Oliveira scored on both sides of halftime as the hosts beat a Real side 2-0 who did not play Gareth Bale or Cristiano Ronaldo.
And so there was Atletico Madrid with an opportunity to clinch its first La Liga title since 1996 with a win at home against Malaga. This was a visiting side that had claimed two points from its last five matches against Atleti.
But they couldn’t find the goal after 45 minutes, and Samuel’s goal in the 65th minute had the home side on the ropes. Atletico was down 1-0, but managed an equalizer less than 10 minutes later when Jose Sosa’s cross was nodded home by Toby Alderweireld. It was the first La Liga goal of the season for the 25-year-old Belgian, and it was a big one.
The match ended 1-1, which means a draw next week at Barcelona will suffice for Atleti to win the league, but who’s betting against Barca now? With Atleti and Real still setting up for a UEFA Champions League final on May 24, Barca only has to focus on 90 minutes next weekend to win its fifth La Liga crown in six seasons.
- Real Betis 4-3 Valladolid — Just when it looked Betis has licked the stamp on its miserable season, the condemned side scored in stoppage time to keep the visitors in relegation danger.
- Villarreal 4-0 Rayo Vallecano — The ma
- Levante 2-0 Valencia— Massive ro
- Athletic Bilbao 1-1 Real Sociedad — Twenty-five total shots but just two goals as the sides share points.
- Getafe 1-0 Sevilla — There’s no substitute for desparation; Getafe is three points safe after outshooting the No. 5 team in the table 14-4 en route to the win. Sergio Escudero picks up the lone goal in the 70th minute.
- Espanyol 1-1 Osasuna – This draw coupled with Almeria’s win keeps Osasuna into the final relegation space heading into the final weekend.
- Granada 0-2 Almeria– The visitors leapt over their No. 17 in the table hosts to join the ranks of the temporarily safe on goals from Verza and Aleix Vidal.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:15 AM EST
The Reds put in a stunning display, as City stumble yet again.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:01 AM EST
Copycat! A repeat of Jordan Henderson’s earlier strike saw the Brazilian down Manchester City late again, reminiscent of last year’s match.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:51 AM EST
Jordan Henderson opened things up with a fabulous strike, and Philippe Coutinho copied the script with the late winner.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:30 AM EST
Per Mertesacker has been dropped following Arsenal’s Champions League disappointment midweek.
Mar 1, 2015, 7:59 AM EST
On Premier League Live, Robbie Mustoe says he believes Arsenal need a change at the top, a move that would surely send shockwaves throughout English soccer.
Mar 1, 2015, 7:33 AM EST
Jordan Henderson opened the scoring at Anfield with a stunning goal inside 15 minutes.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:35 AM EST
Brendan Rodgers starts with Raheem Sterling up front, but plenty of changes along his teamsheet.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:11 PM EST
18 teams in 13 games to wrap up the 2015 MLS preseason. Your one-stop shop for all the day’s action.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:29 PM EST
As they say, that ball stayed hit.
Feb 28, 2015, 8:55 PM EST
Forget the performance, all John Carver cares about is the three points. Sometimes that’s how it is.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EST
Dyke’s frustrated at the resistance to even explore and experiment with technological aids, and he’s 100% right to be.
Feb 28, 2015, 6:27 PM EST
The top of the Championship is as tight as it’s ever been. With only three spots to come up, who’ll be in the Premier League next year?
Feb 28, 2015, 6:04 PM EST
Barcelona keep Spain’s title race close, while AC Milan just hope to finish inside Italy’s top-half.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Can Sherwood do the trick, or will his loud ways alienate a club hoping to avoid its first ever trip into the Championship?
Feb 28, 2015, 4:33 PM EST
The Real Madrid outcast scored his ninth, 10th, 11th and 12th goals of the season in pushing Rayo Vallecano into 10th place.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:18 PM EST
It’s goal No. 1 of many for TFC’s $30-million man. Credit to TFC’s other $35-million and $25-million men for the fancy build-up.
Feb 28, 2015, 3:45 PM EST
Both sides of Merseyside are in action against a pair of Top Three contenders as the Premier League sends up two great appetizers.
Feb 28, 2015, 3:11 PM EST
Bayern made 577 more passes than its opponents. That’s bonkers.
Feb 28, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
Koeman’s Saints have scored just once in their last five matches. Can they recover and remain in the top six?
Feb 28, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
Facey, 20, was the captain of Man City’s highly-touted Elite Development Squad and had been on trial with NYCFC since early January.
- Three things we learned from Liverpool’s win vs. Manchester City 0
- Liverpool 2-1 Manchester City: Pair of Reds stunners stupefy City 1
- MLS roundup: LA Galaxy, Orlando, Red Bulls, Union, RSL, 13 others in preseason finales 0
- WATCH: NYCFC’s Mix Diskerud hits a screamer from 20 yards 0
- WATCH: Michael Bradley, Sebastian Giovinco combine for Jozy Altidore’s first Toronto FC goal 4
- Premier League Sunday preview: Big boys tangle ahead of League Cup final 0