May 11, 2014, 9:06 AM EDT
On Sunday appalling scenes greeted the end of Zenit St. Petersburg’s 4-2 home defeat to Dinamo Moscow.
Zenit were battling it out for the Russian title but a huge blow arrived as Dynamo were victorious. However all eyes are not on the result but the horrendous scenes following the game as Zenit’s ultras stormed the pitch and one shirtless man ran towards Dinamo player Vladimir Granat and punched him in the face.
Watch the video above as the angry mob invaded the pitch and tried to get to the away team as Zenit’s title hopes took a massive hit.
The club has since apologized for the actions, see the Tweet below, but it is likely that the Russian Premier League side will face some serious sanctions after failing to safeguard the players on the pitch. Of course in the past Zenit’s fans have not been far from controversy as they previously released a statement which said signing black players was against the clubs ethos.
What is the soccer world coming to?
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 0
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 6
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0
- Liverpool complete $20 million signing of Nathaniel Clyne from Southampton 1
- Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup roundup: Union, Orlando, Chicago move on as Charlotte bounced 2
- With the World Cup on the line, the USWNT gave us a vintage performance to savor 3