May 11, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
Cardiff City host Chelsea in the Welsh capital on Sunday (Watch live on CNBC, 10:00 a.m. ET and online via Live Extra) as the Bluebirds bow out of the Premier League after their first season in the top-flight.
With Cardiff’s relegation confirmed last week and Chelsea not in the title race, there will be an air of despair around the Cardiff City stadium.
Plenty of anger will be directed towards Cardiff’s controversial owner Vincent Tan after he fired popular manager Malky Mackay and the team have never recovered. New boss Ole Gunnar Solksjaer had a mountain to climb and his side just couldn’t clamber out of the bottom three.
As for Chelsea, Jose Mourinho will not win any silverware in the first season of his second spell in charge of the Blues. They hung in the title race until the penultimate week of the season but that damaging UEFA Champions League semifinal defeat to Atletico Madrid has knocked the win out the West London clubs sails.
Cardiff City: Marshall, Fabio, Caulker, Turner, John, Gunnarsson, Mutch, Whittingham, Daehli, Bellamy, Campbell. Subs: Lewis; Eikrem, Cowie, McNaughton, Berget, James, Healey
- Romelu Lukaku completes permanent, $47 million move to Everton 0
- Report: US to play friendly vs. Colombia in San Antonio 1
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Cuadrado to Manchester United, Lukaku to Everton 0
- Steven Gerrard endured “worst three months” of his life after Liverpool, England heartbreak 2
- Premier League on tour, Tuesday roundup: United beat Inter in penalties 1
- Liverpool complete $17 million signing of Belgian striker Divock Origi 1