May 11, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
With 45 minutes left in the season, Manchester City hold a 1-0 lead over West Ham United as the Citizens look to seal the PL title.
A win will guarantee that the Citizens secure their second PL crown in three seasons as Samir Nasri smashed home just before the break to put City’s fans in dreamland as they chased the crown.
Tension was in the air at the Etihad early on as City tried to get an early goal to ease the nerves. In the 10th minute Pablo Zabaleta raced down the right wing after a neat one-two and clipped the ball to the back post to find an unmarked David Silva but the Spaniard blasted the ball way over the bar as Pellegrini had a wry smile on his face.
West Ham continued to frustrate City as the first half played out with Yaya Toure curling an effort just passed the far post as the Hammers set up two banks of four on the edge of their own box. Midway through the half Aleksandar Kolarov rifled an effort towards the top corner but Adrian saved superbly as City continued to press.
It was all City as West Ham struggled to get out of their own half and just before half time they finally took the lead. Nasri got the ball 25-yards out, jinxed inside and smashed a low effort towards the bottom corner that Adrian got a hand to but couldn’t keep out. Soon after Aguero was played in down the right and knocked the ball across to Pablo Zabaleta went in 1-0 up at the break as they were just 45 minutes from winning the title.
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 0
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 2
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 1
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1
- Premier League friendly roundup: Southampton draws, Stoke swallowed 0
- Jose Mourinho says “best team lost,” attacks Arsenal’s defensive tactics, as Chelsea beaten at their own game 8