May 12, 2014, 1:50 PM EST
The Japanese roster for this summer’s World Cup in Brazil is set, as manager Alberto Zaccheroni has gone for a Euro-heavy squad.
Japan boast midfield playmakers such as Kiesuke Honda from AC Milan and Manchester United’s Shinji Kagawa in their squad, while Southampton’s Maya Yoshida, Yuto Nagatomo from Inter Milan and Shinji Okazaki from Mainz all get the nod.
Another standout inclusion is Gamba Osaka’s midfielder Yasuhito Endo who already holds the national teams record of 141 caps.
After struggling at the Confederations Cup last summer Brazil the powerhouse of Asian soccer will be looking to redeem themselves in South America as they make their fifth-straight World Cup finals appearance. Many believe Japan have an extremely good chance of qualifying for the knockout stages as they are in Group C alongside the Ivory Coast, Greece and Colombia.
Below is their squad in full as Japan will be a dangerous opponent down in Brazil this summer.
Japan’s final 23-man World Cup squad
Goalkeepers: Eiji Kawashima (Standard Liege), Shusaku Nishikawa (Urawa Reds), Shuichi Gonda (FC Tokyo).
Defenders: Masato Morishige (FC Tokyo), Yasuyuki Konno (Gamba Osaka), Yuto Nagatomo (Inter Milan), Maya Yoshida (Southampton), Masahiko Inoha (Jubilo Iwata), Atsuto Uchida (Schalke 04), Hiroki Sakai (Hannover 96), Gotoku Sakai (VfB Stuttgart).
Midfielders: Yasuhito Endo (Gamba Osaka), Keisuke Honda (AC Milan), Shinji Kagawa (Manchester United), Makoto Hasebe (FC Nuremberg), Hiroshi Kiyotake (FC Nuremberg), Hotaru Yamaguchi (Cerezo Osaka), Toshihiro Aoyama (Sanfrecce Hiroshima), Manabu Saito (Yokohama F. Marinos).
Forwards: Shinji Okazaki (Mainz), Yoichiro Kakitani (Cerezo Osaka), Yuya Osako (TSV Munich 1860), Yoshito Okubo (Kawasaki Frontale)
- Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Atsu and Bony lead Ghana, Ivory Coast into semis 0
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Spurs to snatch Laporte, Liverpool in for Reid 1
- Southampton 0-1 Swansea: Shelvey snatches win with sensational late strike 0
- Arsenal 5-0 Aston Villa: Gunners torch hapless Villa with deadly counters 0
- Diego Costa maintains his innocence, says “I’ve not done anything wrong” 4
- DONE DEAL: Seydou Doumbia to Roma headlines quiet Saturday for transfers 0