May 12, 2014, 11:39 PM EST
A squad heavy in top-flight players from the world’s richest leagues will attempt to take charge of South America and the world when Uruguay makes its charge into Brazil for World Cup 2014, as Óscar Tabárez released his 25-man provisional roster on Monday.
A stacked attacking corps that will feature Luis Suarez, Edinson Cavani and Diego Forlan is balanced out by West Brom’s Diego Lugano, Atletico Madrid’s Diego Godin and Benfica’s Maximiliano Pereira in the back. Stringing the two units together will be Alvaro Gonzalez and Cristian Rodriguez amongst others.
Yes, that’s three members from UEFA Champions League finalist Atletico Madrid.
Also representing the Premier League is Southampton’s Gaston Ramirez.
Goalkeepers: Fernando Muslera (Galatasaray), Martín Silva (Vasco da Gama), Rodrigo Muñoz (Libertad)
Defenders: Diego Lugano (West Bromwich Albion), Diego Godín (Atlético Madrid), José María Giménez (Atlético Madrid), Martín Cáceres (Juventus), Maximiliano Pereira (Benfica), Jorge Fucile (Porto), Sebastián Coates (Nacional), Alejandro Silva (Lanús)
Midfielders: Arévalo Ríos (Morelia), Walter Gargano (Parma), Diego Pérez (Bologna), Sebastián Eguren (Palmeiras), Álvaro González (Lazio), Álvaro Pereira (São Paulo), Cristian Rodríguez (Atlético Madrid), Gastón Ramírez (Southampton), Nicolás Lodeiro (Botafogo)
Forwards: Edinson Cavani (Paris Saint-Germain), Luis Suárez (Liverpool), Diego Forlán (Cerezo Osaka), Abel Hernández (Palermo), Christian Stuani (Espanyol)
Reserves: Andrés Scotti (Nacional), Álvaro Fernández (Gimnasia La Plata), Gonzalo Castro (Real Sociedad)
- Premier League transfer needs: What’s been done and what’s left to do by Monday? 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 23 0
- Geoff Cameron predicts Super Bowl XLIX win for his New England Patriots 1
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Manchester City, Arsenal, Saints to win 0
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Manchester City 0
- Ban upheld: Diego Costa to miss Saturday’s visit from Manchester City, 2 more 3