May 12, 2014, 11:39 PM EDT
A squad heavy in top-flight players from the world’s richest leagues will attempt to take charge of South America and the world when Uruguay makes its charge into Brazil for World Cup 2014, as Óscar Tabárez released his 25-man provisional roster on Monday.
A stacked attacking corps that will feature Luis Suarez, Edinson Cavani and Diego Forlan is balanced out by West Brom’s Diego Lugano, Atletico Madrid’s Diego Godin and Benfica’s Maximiliano Pereira in the back. Stringing the two units together will be Alvaro Gonzalez and Cristian Rodriguez amongst others.
Yes, that’s three members from UEFA Champions League finalist Atletico Madrid.
Also representing the Premier League is Southampton’s Gaston Ramirez.
Goalkeepers: Fernando Muslera (Galatasaray), Martín Silva (Vasco da Gama), Rodrigo Muñoz (Libertad)
Defenders: Diego Lugano (West Bromwich Albion), Diego Godín (Atlético Madrid), José María Giménez (Atlético Madrid), Martín Cáceres (Juventus), Maximiliano Pereira (Benfica), Jorge Fucile (Porto), Sebastián Coates (Nacional), Alejandro Silva (Lanús)
Midfielders: Arévalo Ríos (Morelia), Walter Gargano (Parma), Diego Pérez (Bologna), Sebastián Eguren (Palmeiras), Álvaro González (Lazio), Álvaro Pereira (São Paulo), Cristian Rodríguez (Atlético Madrid), Gastón Ramírez (Southampton), Nicolás Lodeiro (Botafogo)
Forwards: Edinson Cavani (Paris Saint-Germain), Luis Suárez (Liverpool), Diego Forlán (Cerezo Osaka), Abel Hernández (Palermo), Christian Stuani (Espanyol)
Reserves: Andrés Scotti (Nacional), Álvaro Fernández (Gimnasia La Plata), Gonzalo Castro (Real Sociedad)
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 0
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 6
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0
- Liverpool complete $20 million signing of Nathaniel Clyne from Southampton 1
- Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup roundup: Union, Orlando, Chicago move on as Charlotte bounced 2
- With the World Cup on the line, the USWNT gave us a vintage performance to savor 3