May 12, 2014, 11:39 PM EDT
A squad heavy in top-flight players from the world’s richest leagues will attempt to take charge of South America and the world when Uruguay makes its charge into Brazil for World Cup 2014, as Óscar Tabárez released his 25-man provisional roster on Monday.
A stacked attacking corps that will feature Luis Suarez, Edinson Cavani and Diego Forlan is balanced out by West Brom’s Diego Lugano, Atletico Madrid’s Diego Godin and Benfica’s Maximiliano Pereira in the back. Stringing the two units together will be Alvaro Gonzalez and Cristian Rodriguez amongst others.
Yes, that’s three members from UEFA Champions League finalist Atletico Madrid.
Also representing the Premier League is Southampton’s Gaston Ramirez.
Goalkeepers: Fernando Muslera (Galatasaray), Martín Silva (Vasco da Gama), Rodrigo Muñoz (Libertad)
Defenders: Diego Lugano (West Bromwich Albion), Diego Godín (Atlético Madrid), José María Giménez (Atlético Madrid), Martín Cáceres (Juventus), Maximiliano Pereira (Benfica), Jorge Fucile (Porto), Sebastián Coates (Nacional), Alejandro Silva (Lanús)
Midfielders: Arévalo Ríos (Morelia), Walter Gargano (Parma), Diego Pérez (Bologna), Sebastián Eguren (Palmeiras), Álvaro González (Lazio), Álvaro Pereira (São Paulo), Cristian Rodríguez (Atlético Madrid), Gastón Ramírez (Southampton), Nicolás Lodeiro (Botafogo)
Forwards: Edinson Cavani (Paris Saint-Germain), Luis Suárez (Liverpool), Diego Forlán (Cerezo Osaka), Abel Hernández (Palermo), Christian Stuani (Espanyol)
Reserves: Andrés Scotti (Nacional), Álvaro Fernández (Gimnasia La Plata), Gonzalo Castro (Real Sociedad)
- Real Madrid sign James Rodriguez for $107 million 2
- Xavi Hernández reportedly inching closer to New York City FC 11
- New report kicks off another round of Las Vegas expansion talk for MLS 5
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Sporting Kansas City’s Benny Feilhaber 0
- Qatar/Russia World Cup bidding investigation delayed until September 6
- Report: Bayern Munich confirms Julian Green on first team for US trip 10