U.S. national team roster named for World Cup 2014

May 12, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT

US national football team head coach, Ge

Jurgen Klinsmann has named his preliminary squad for the U.S. national team’s appearance at the World Cup in Brazil this summer, as the USMNT head coach has largely gone with the tried and tested players who guided the U.S. through qualifying.

The big news is that teenager Julian Green made the 30-man roster, while Clint Dempsey will captain the side in Brazil and stars Tim Howard, Michael Bradley and Jozy Altidore will complete the spine of Klinsmann’s lineup. Youngsters DeAndre Yedlin and John Brooks also made the squad, while the likes of Brek Shea and Eddie Johnson miss out.

The initial 30-man squad will be whittled down to the final 23 by June 2, which is one day after the USA’s friendly against Turkey and just before the squad travels to Florida for the last leg of their journey before heading to Brazil.

MORE: All the latest news on World Cup rosters

Klinsmann’s squad will prepare themselves for the World Cup with a two-week training camp at Stanford University in California which begins on May 14, before playing scrimmages against Azerbaijan in San Francisco on May 27, Turkey on June 1 at Red Bull Arena and then the final send off match against Nigeria in Jacksonville on June 7.

When the U.S. get to Brazil they will then play one more training scrimmage against Belgium on June 12 before they face their first World Cup group game against Ghana on June 16, then Portugal and Germany.

Here, in full, is your 30-man World Cup roster for the USA, which will be chopped down to 23.

USMNT’s 30-man squad for the 2014 World Cup

GOALKEEPERS (3) :Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (11) : DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Parkhurst (Columbus Crew), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)

MIDFIELDERS (10) : Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Maurice Edu (Philadelphia Union), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (6) : Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

1. dws110 - May 12, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Yedlin – wow, I really didn’t expect to see him feature until after this WC cycle. Green – Boo, big time boo for naming him to the roster. He should not make the 23, I don’t care what Klinsmann promised him to make the switch happen. Chandler – meh, I’m over him. Wondo – Even money that Wondo is in the 23 ahead of LD?

• nappy25 - May 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM

What’s wrong with taking a couple of young “raw” players. Top teams do it ALL the time.

• dws110 - May 12, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Which raw players are you referring to? There are plenty of young, raw players who are doing better than the German 4th division, take any of them. I’m certainly not opposed to Yedlin getting the call, just surprised is all.

2. nappy25 - May 12, 2014 at 3:27 PM

If Danny Williams was healthy he would’ve taken Edu’s spot. I’m shocked that Ream didn’t get the call, but I don’t mind Yedlin getting another look.

3. elgallo2001 - May 12, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Shea over Corona? Maybe?
    All else seems pretty fair to me.

Man, can we start Jozy with confidence?

Yedlin and Green are still, well, green but they both possess game changing pace and youth.

Okay, let’s go USA!

4. sa371916 - May 12, 2014 at 3:40 PM

To me there are 14 people competing for 7 spots with 4 competitions here:

1 more striker, either Wondo or Boyd
    1 more outside back from Chandler, Yedlin & Evans
    2 more center backs from Goodson, Brooks, Parkhurst,
    3 more midfielders Corona, Davis, Bedoya, Diskerud Green, Edu,

Everyone else is a lock. I would guess it will be Boyd, Chandler, Goodson, Parkhurst, Bedoya , Diskerud and Green, with the other 7 being the cuts.

• dws110 - May 12, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I think Klinsmann really values the intangibles Evans brings…I think he gets the nod over Chandler, who has been seemingly apathetic about the USMNT for a while now.

• jaxfootballing - May 12, 2014 at 3:55 PM

dws110 – I agree with your statement about Chandler being apathetic toward USMNT and I would also choose Evans over Chandler.

sa372916 – I agree with all of your list except Chandler. Good observations. Could be a toss-up between Boyd and Wondo (I have not been too impressed with Boyd in his prior call-ups, Wondo just seems to get goals against weaker competition so the WC might be a stretch for his abilities).

• imagreatguy76 - May 12, 2014 at 4:08 PM

I think Goodson is pretty close to a lock.

5. aod9 - May 12, 2014 at 3:49 PM

No reason for Wondolowski to be anywhere near the roster. Jozy, Johannsson, and Boyd are enough since hes played Dempsey up top also.

6. mantorras - May 12, 2014 at 3:56 PM

star Jozy Altidore??

7. bellerophon30 - May 12, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Joe Corona over Sacha Klejstan is the big surprise for me, I guess Sacha’s lack of time recently for Anderlecht must have hurt him, because club form is so key……..oh wait, Jozy must be the exception. I agree that Jozy has to be on the plane, or the second guessing will be deafening, but strictly speaking he probably doesn’t deserve it.

I would leave off Wondo, Edu, Corona, Evans, Yedlin, Timmy, and one guy who will be hurt and will be chosen by fate. But all those six I picked are pick ‘em guys, and no worse really than a few others I could have picked, let alone Sacha, Benny, or Tim Ream. Whatever happens will be interesting.

• jaxfootballing - May 12, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Klejstan is slow and does not see/feel the game with any consistent vision and balls-to-the-wall attitude. JC has more potential upside and shows better overall qualities.

Let’s see who shines/has issues in those 2 warm-up matches before final cuts are made.

Going to Jax game with a bunch of family/friends – it should be evident what type of approach Klinsi is expecting with that starting 11 configuration on June 7th.

• talgrath - May 12, 2014 at 6:08 PM

I think Corona is more willing to push the pace up the field and be creative, something that Klinsmann seems to value over the skills that Klejstan brings to the game. Ultimately, Klejstan was always sort of a bubble player, the fact that he never really impressed while playing for the USMNT despite his skills in the Belgian league is likely why Klinsmann left him off.

• bellerophon30 - May 12, 2014 at 8:13 PM

We’re talking the 30 man roster here, I didn’t think that Sacha was going to make the final roster, not over Bedoya or Mix. What he does now will be interesting, he’s got two years left on his contract at Anderlecht, and who knows if his salary there would be a DP salary in MLS. Or even if he answers the call next time for a national team call up, if it ever comes. He must know by now that he’s not a Jurgen guy, and since he’s going to be the manager for the next cycle as well…….

8. jdfsquared - May 12, 2014 at 4:09 PM

I think Altidore will be hungry and ready to re-enter the chemistry he enjoys with this US “spine.”

Wondo off the bench as a late game sub with the intangible magic touch seems exciting to me. He’s invisible and inconsequential… until he isn’t.

9. rokemi - May 12, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Surprises for me…
    Chandler (are we dating or are we taking a break?), Edu (massive comeback story, is he ready for the world stage though), Gonzalez (still the most over rated player on the team and part of the problem of a weak backline), Beckerman (decent MLS player, but does not fit the fast attacking German style. not the greatest passer), Davis (solid set piece artist, but does not have WC speed)

• mknow406a - May 13, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Chandler is back, and ONLY back, because JK had Cherundolo penciled in to the 23. In that context, Evans made an acceptable stop gap behind Dolo and that allowed JK time and opportunity to let Chandler know he needed to grow up and mature. But, that all went south when Cherundolo didn’t recover. Now JK was faced with trying to contain Germany and Portugal with Evans… Chandler is a solid Bundesliga defender. Evans, not even close. I have to give JK credit for recognizing that while Chandler may not have been a model professional, he is still probably the best option for RB. (And yes I know he didn’t perform well in LAST match, but he was not bad in his USMNT matches before that.)

10. Dennis Pope - May 12, 2014 at 6:28 PM

An offensive-minded coach would enlist all six of those “forwards” and find cuts elsewhere.

11. skjln - May 12, 2014 at 6:30 PM

The 2 that surprised me were Corona’s inclusion and Ream’s omission. Surely Brooks doesn’t make the 23 and Corona hasn’t been good enough to include for the latter qualifiers, so why is he good enough now? Perhaps an injury that I missed? I think that Ream could have fought for one of the CB slots and probably beats out Edu at CDM based on their current form. Brooks has not looked good for the US and Gonzo is hurt (sometimes the little injuries take a long time to heal). Brad Davis has also been really quiet/not that good in his appearances. Make that 3 surprises for me. To sum it up, take Ream, leave out Davis and sort it out in camp.

• bellerophon30 - May 12, 2014 at 8:15 PM

I think if JA Brooks is picked for the final 23, it means that a deal was made when he did the switch to the US, same with Julian Green. Neither’s results should put them on the plane, but one does have to plan for 2018, and the final two outfield spots are the right place for it.

12. braxtonrob - May 12, 2014 at 6:38 PM

I liked Eddie Johnson as a late sub to head home a goal, but I guess we’re not going to see that.
    Is Boyd good in the air, because I see no other forward who can deliver a lethal header; that worries me.

13. nmcdermott94 - May 13, 2014 at 7:50 AM

My Predicted 7 to be Cut:

Yedlin, Chandler, Parkhurst
    Green, Davis, Corona,
    Wondo

• tomcatfl - May 13, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Parkhurst in, Edu out, otherwise I agree with you. Corona perhaps the first one back in with an injury situation.

14. topsieff - May 13, 2014 at 10:55 AM