May 12, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT
Ahead of the announcement expected later today of the U.S. national team, one of their group opponents has already released their squad.
The U.S. national team’s arch-nemesis from the past two World Cup’s, Ghana, have selected a 26-man squad that will be whittle down to 23 by June 2 when they leave for the tournament.
Ghana’s coach Kwesi Appiah has left out ex-captain John Mensah and Isaac Vorsah as he has a new look to his squad as young Leicester City wide-man Jeffrey Schlupp makes the initial roster. Familiar faces Michel Essien, Sulley Muntari and Asamoah Gyan all make the squad as Essien didn’t feature in the 2010 World Cup due to injury.
Preparations begin on May 20 for the Black Stars in Accra before they fly to Amsterdam on May 30 for a friendly with Holland. After that they will head to Miami for a final warmup game against South Korea and will then fly to Brazil on June 11, just five days before their World Cup opener against the U.S. in Natal.
Below is the Black Stars’ squad for the tournament, which Jurgen Klinsmann and his coaching staff will keep a close eye on.
Ghana’s 26-man squad for the World Cup this summer
Goalkeepers: Fatau Dauda (Orlando Pirates), Adam Kwarasey (Stromsgodset), Stephen Adams (Aduana Stars).
Defenders: Samuel Inkoom (Platanias), Daniel Opare (Standard Liege), Harrison Afful (Esperance), Jeffrey Schlupp (Leicester), John Boye (Rennes), Jonathan Mensah (Evian), Jerry Akaminko (Kisehirspor), Rashid Sumalia (Mamelodi Sundowns).
Midfielders: Michael Essien (AC Milan), Sulley Muntari (AC Milan), Rabiu Mohammed (Kuban Krasnodar), Kwadwo Asamoah (Juventus), Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu (Udinese), Afriyie Acquah (Parma), Christian Atsu (Vitesse), Albert Adomah (Middlesbrough), Andre Ayew (Marseille), Mubarak Wakaso (Rubin Kazan).
Strikers: Asamoah Gyan (Al Ain), Kevin-Prince Boateng (Schalke 04), Abdul Majeed Waris (Valenciennes), Jordan Ayew (Sochaux), David Accam (Helsingborg)
- Chile 0-0 (4-1 PKs) Argentina: Chile’s first Copa America title in 99-year history (video) 1
- Lloyd, Brian prove crucial to United States’ turnaround at Women’s World Cup 1
- Report: Robin van Persie agrees to personal terms with Fenerbahce 3
- Copa America Final preview: Argentina looks for first title since 1993 against hosts Chile 0
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: KPB to Orlando City, Liverpool in for Brazilian teen 4
- Klinsmann on USMNT’s win over Guatemala: “I’m not happy with that performance” 3