May 13, 2014, 9:09 AM EDT
Surprising world No. 8 Switzerland is bringing a relatively-young roster to Brazil, with accomplished manager Ottmar Hitzfeld naming just one player over the age of 30 to his 23-man roster.
Napoli’s Gokhan Inler and Bayern Munich’s Zherdan Shaqiri headline the squad, which features players from across La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga.
The only 2013/14 Premier League player on the list is on standby, with Fulham’s Pajtim Kasami part of a group of players Nos. 24-30.
Goalkeepers: Diego Benaglio (Wolfsburg), Roman Buerki (Grasshopper), Yann Sommer (Basel).
Defenders: Johan Djourou (Hamburg), Michael Lang (Grasshopper), Stephan Lichtsteiner (Juventus), Ricardo Rodriguez (Wolfsburg), Fabian Schaer (Basel), Philippe Senderos (Valencia), Steve von Bergen (Young Boys), Reto Ziegler (Sassuolo).
Midfielders: Tranquillo Barnetta (Eintracht Frankfurt), Valon Behrami (Napoli), Blerim Dzemaili (Napoli), Gelson Fernandes (Freiburg), Gokhan Inler (Napoli), Xherdan Shaqiri (Bayern Munich), Valentin Stocker (Basel).
Forwards: Josip Drmic (Nuremberg), Mario Gavranovic (Zurich), Admir Mehmedi (Freiburg), Haris Seferovic (Real Sociedad), Granit Xhaka (Borussia Monchengladbach).
Standby: Marwin Hitz (Augsburg), Timm Klose (Wolfsburg), Silvan Widmer (Udinese), Eren Derdiyok (Bayer Leverkusen), Fabian Frei (Basel), Pajtim Kasami (Fulham), Pirmin Schwegler (Eintracht Frankfurt).
- Pep Guardiola: For now, Julian Green will remain with Bayern Munich’s first team 0
- Real Madrid sign James Rodriguez for $107 million 3
- Xavi Hernández reportedly inching closer to New York City FC 11
- New report kicks off another round of Las Vegas expansion talk for MLS 7
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Sporting Kansas City’s Benny Feilhaber 0
- Qatar/Russia World Cup bidding investigation delayed until September 6