May 13, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
“I just can’t seem to get enough, Suarez…”
That famous chant has been sung across the Premier League loudly and proudly by Liverpool fans this season, as Luis Suarez had a sensational campaign.
That being said, Suarez is PST’s Premier League Player of the season.
His supreme goal-poaching abilities were made even sweeter as his redemption story is one for the ages. Handed a hefty ban for biting Branislav Ivanovic at the end of the 2012-13 season, plus his desire to leave Liverpool in the summer, mean that Suarez rise from being the PL’s public enemy number one to the leading light is remarkable. Coupled with Liverpool’s unlucky title-charge and their second placed finish, there was only going to by one winner.
Suarez, 27, finished as the top scorer in the PL with 31 goals from 34 games and picked up the PFA and Football Writers’ Player of the Year awards. The Uruguayan aces’ record-breaking season saw him become the first PL player to score 10 goals in one calendar month as he tore it up in December. Suarez bagged four goals against Norwich and scored hat trick’s against West Brom and Cardiff City.
When it came to selecting our Player of the Year at PST, Suarez dominated the voting but Yaya Toure also got two of the six votes as Manchester City’s driving force from midfield became just the second PL midfielder in history to score over 20 goals in a league campaign.
In the end, Suarez deservedly collects the gong as he proved he is right up with the best strikers in the world.
PST’s Player of the Year votes
Mike Prindiville: Luis Suarez
Kyle Bonn: Luis Suarez
Nick Mendola: Yaya Toure
Richard Farley: Luis Suarez
Kirsten Schlewitz: Luis Suarez
Joe Prince-Wright: Yaya Toure
- MLS Player of the Week — Week 8: Columbus Crew SC’s Ethan Finlay 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 8 0
- Not even allowed an appeal: CONCACAF confirms Bush suspension for Champions League final 2
- Premier League Playback: Chelsea brilliant, not boring, as title inches closer 0
- MLS official squashes rumor of emergency intra-MLS goalkeeper loan for CONCACAF Champions League final 11
- VIDEO: Premier League Player of the Week — Round 34 0