Orlando City unveils new, clean logo for MLS future

May 13, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT

Orlando City has changed its look for its maiden Major League Soccer voyage, with a clean crest that features a gold lion on a purple shield.

Thoughts? It’s certainly feels like a step-up from their former logo, but there’s a Disney feel to it as well.

Perhaps a “Everything the light touches is our kingdom” motto is coming?

New:

source:

Old:

source:

The club will unveil its kit at a later date.

1. johnah - May 13, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Took me a minute; but I love the new logo for my team. We’re still having a great time supporting out club in the USL; but it’s awesome to look forward to next year and beyond in MLS.

2. Coach CB - May 13, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Fugly

3. Vnice - May 13, 2014 at 10:41 AM

I think it’s pretty nice. Look, they’re rolling with the Lions thing, and this is definitely the best you can ask for that isn’t some coat of arms type thing that’s been done to death.

The only reason it seems Disney at all, is because Disney did the Lion King. If they did the Tiger King, this wouldn’t even be in the conversation.

• sibertt - May 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Agreed. I don’t think the new logo looks Disney-ish at all, unless everything with a lion does. Honestly, the old logo looks more theme-park-ish than the new one does. The new one is clean and crisp.

4. mcg1848 - May 13, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I like it. Not as cartoony as the old logo. Would have liked the red as a secondary color incorporated into the logo somehow, but can’t complain too much. I like the purple crown – nice touch. I don’t get the Disney comparisons either. Solid.

5. toxicviolator - May 13, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Too plain, like the other logo better. Maybe scrap the purple altogether.

• thedynamicuno83 - May 13, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Yes, lets scrap one of the things that makes us unique. Something that no other team in MLS has, something only a couple of teams in the whole WORLD have. Yes, that’d be a great idea.

6. tomcatfl - May 13, 2014 at 12:16 PM

I just figured that the old one with three lion heads was too much like England NT “three lions”. The name, not the logo.

7. yankeefootball - May 13, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Crisp and clean. The mane gives off a sun vibe. Not too busy. It is a nice way to start off into the league. It could have been horrible trying to do too much. This crest kept it simple and accessible to casual fans.

8. deeballer - May 13, 2014 at 2:27 PM

I dig the deep purple.

9. martyalpaca - May 13, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Why a lion? it is Orlando, it should really be a mouse.

• bori22 - May 14, 2014 at 12:14 AM

I understand that most people outside of Orlando associate Disney with the city.

• bori22 - May 14, 2014 at 12:19 AM

The mouse jokes has been done and some. I understand that most people outside of Orlando associate the city with Disney but it’s ignorant to think that’s all there is here. You’re not clever, just stop

10. tridecagon - May 13, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Beautiful.

11. oster87 - May 13, 2014 at 8:14 PM

I actually really like this.

Good to see a team not rehashing reds, blues, or blacks.

12. ryanw822 - May 13, 2014 at 8:55 PM

eh, looks like something I would’ve created if I was making a new franchise in FIFA 2015.

well the new logo will look better than the old one in its new stadium, I mean in the new Citrus Bowl.

13. overtherepermanently - May 13, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Mooooooooophaassssssa

14. 1rudecrudedude - May 14, 2014 at 1:03 AM

all MLS logos suck. who makes these logos? th
    especially the crew. whattttt