May 14, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
According to the Las Vegas Sun, the city of sin could be in line for a Major League Soccer franchise.
The report follows an announcement today by Findlay Sports and Entertainment and The Cordish Companies that a 24,000-seat soccer-specific stadium will be built downtown at Symphony Park and confirmation from MLS Deputy Commissioner and President Mark Abbott that discussions have been held.
“We recently met with Justin Findlay and Blake Cordish at the MLS League office in New York and were very impressed with their vision to pursue building a new soccer stadium and acquiring an MLS expansion club for Las Vegas,” Abbott said in a statement. “We look forward to continuing discussions as they work to further develop their plans with Mayor Goodman and the City of Las Vegas.”
With MLS expanding from 19 to 24 teams and New York, Miami, Orlando and Atlanta already having been granted new franchises, Vegas is set to battle it out with Austin, Minneapolis, Sacramento, San Antonio and San Diego for the final franchise.
“It will be a race to see who can put the best package together,” said Justin Findlay, managing partner of Findlay Sports and Entertainment. “A lot of people are vying for the last spot.”
Vegas has long been eager to bring a professional franchise to the area, with an NBA or NHL team the traditional focus. Now it appears those efforts have been zeroed in on MLS and Mayor Carolyn Goodman seems positive about the direction things are heading.
“The pieces are starting to fall in line. It’s really, really exciting,” Goodman said.
- MLS playoffs weekend preview: Which remaining team has the best form? 0
- Van Gaal: Manchester Derby is “biggest” he’ll manage; Rooney in, Falcao out 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 10 3
- Diego Costa will be available to Chelsea this weekend, says Jose Mourinho; QPR and Blues to tangle on NBCSN 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton the standouts 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Will Chelsea ever lose, Burnley ever win? 0