May 14, 2014, 2:33 PM EST
The Premier League’s second-longest tenured manager will reportedly coach into next season at St. James Park.
Despite a horrific squad-wide drop-off after the January sale of Yohan Cabaye — and that whole “headbutting an opponent” thing — Newcastle United will keep Alan Pardew as manager to start next season, says The Mirror.
There may not be a manager closer to the hot seat status than Pardew when next year’s Premier League begins its run. Pardew watched as Newcastle dropped to ninth in the table courtesy of a club-first six-match PL losing skid.
All of this came during and after Pardew was suspended for headbutting Hull City’s David Meyler at the end of a blowout win.
A humble Pardew said last week he “hoped” to remain in charge and pledged to return a better manager for pre-season training in July.
He cited his head-butt shame at Hull, and the need for “more positive” tactical calls as his biggest regrets from the current campaign.
There has been a noisy campaign to remove Pardew, including two front page demands for his sacking in the local evening newspaper.
But (NUFC owner Mike) Ashley is staying loyal and knows his boss needs a boost with news signings, which he has vowed to deliver.
The report rightly points out that Pardew has not been allowed to make a permanent signing in almost a year and a half, and that he had his power taken away by near-clueless Joe Kinnear in the Fall.
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0
- After “two points dropped” at Aston Villa, Wayne Rooney says media was driving title talk 0