May 14, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
The news comes after Giggs flew to the Netherlands where he met with Van Gaal at his home. It was there that a three hour discussion was held, following up on the phone call they shared last week.
While it has yet to emerge whether Giggs intends on continuing his playing career, all indications are that the Welshman is set to accept the offer from Van Gaal. It’s understood that the offer to Giggs represents the last obstacle to sort out before confirming the Dutchman as permanent successor to David Moyes.
Once appointed, Van Gaal’s first bit of business is to sign Luke Shaw after a $45 million offer was rejected earlier this week. All indications are that an improved bid of $50 million should be enough to seal the deal.
- Premier League Preview: West Brom vs. Manchester United 0
- Premier League Playback: Liverpool can’t get rid of Luis Suarez hangover 0
- MUST SEE: Wesley Sneijder scores two wonder goals 2
- Where does Sergio Aguero rank with the world’s best? 0
- Michael Bradley to Jurgen Klinsmann: ‘I have thick skin’ 0
- Stoke 2-1 Swansea: Substitutes pick up three points for the Potters 0