May 14, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
The news comes after Giggs flew to the Netherlands where he met with Van Gaal at his home. It was there that a three hour discussion was held, following up on the phone call they shared last week.
While it has yet to emerge whether Giggs intends on continuing his playing career, all indications are that the Welshman is set to accept the offer from Van Gaal. It’s understood that the offer to Giggs represents the last obstacle to sort out before confirming the Dutchman as permanent successor to David Moyes.
Once appointed, Van Gaal’s first bit of business is to sign Luke Shaw after a $45 million offer was rejected earlier this week. All indications are that an improved bid of $50 million should be enough to seal the deal.
- Malky Mackay and Iain Moody investigated by FA for ‘sexist, racist and homophobic’ text messages while at Cardiff City 3
- Liverpool and AC Milan in talks over deal for Mario Balotelli 4
- Atlanta’s new MLS franchise has already sold 14,000 season tickets 9
- No signings in 2015: Barcelona’s transfer ban upheld, FIFA rejects appeal 3
- Report: Tottenham set to raid Manchester United, line up Fellaini, Hernandez deals 6
- Spanish Super Cup: Late goal allows Atlético to claim first leg draw at Real Madrid 0