May 14, 2014, 10:28 AM EST
Unity in the back takes on another meaning for the Greece World Cup squad, which has five Olympiakos defenders in camp ahead of the 2014 tournament in Brazil.
Fernando Santos of Portugal has selected his squad, and chosen three players from the United Kingdom: departing Celtic striker Giorgios Samaras and Fulham’s Giorgos Karagounis and Konstantinos Mitroglou.
The World Cup will be Santos’ last journey as Greece boss, as he’ll manage “The Pirate Ship” no more after the tournament.
Goalkeepers: Alexandros Tzorvas (Apollon Smyrnis), Michalis Sifakis (Atromitos), Orestis Karnezis (Granada), Panaglotis Glykos (PAOK), Stefanos Kapino (Panathinaikos)
Defenders: Avraam Papadopoulos (Olympiakos), Dimitris Siovas (Olympiakos), Kostas Manolas (Olympiakos), Giannis Maniatis (Olympiakos), Jose Holebas (Olympiakos), Sokratis Papastathopoulos (Borussia Dortmund), Giorgios Tzavellas (PAOK), Loukas Vyntra (Levante), Vasilis Torosidis (Roma)
Midfielders: Alexandros Tziolis (Kayserispor), Andreas Samaris (Olympiakos), Kostas Katsouranis (PAOK), Giorgos Karagounis (Fulham), Panagiotis Tachtsidis (Torino), Sotiris Ninis (PAOK), Ioannis Fetfatzidis (Genoa), Kostas Fortounis (Kaiserslautern), Lazaros Christodoulopoulos (Bologna) Panagiotis Kone (Bologna)
Forwards: Dimitris Papadopoulos (Atromitos), Dimitris Salpingidis (PAOK), Giorgios Samaras (Celtic), Konstantinos Mitroglou (Fulham), Theofanis Gekas (Konyaspor)
- VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League 0
- Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months 0
- Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more 0
- USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up 2
- Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through 4
- Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere 3