May 15, 2014, 9:39 AM EST
Bayern Munich’s injury-troubled attacker Thiago Alcantara will miss the World Cup.
The 23-year-old Spaniard was named in Spain’s provisional squad, but needs knee surgery after tearing a ligament.
The Italian-born Alcantara record two goals and four assists in 16 Bundesliga matches for the German giants, but missed much of the season with injury. He had two goals and five assists in 27 La Liga appearances for Barcelona in 2012/13.
“This is bitter for Thiago and I feel sorry for him,” said Bayern chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.
“A young man who wanted to come back at the World Cup, and suddenly his dreams are burst.
“We will take care of him now and make sure he is fit at the start of the season.”
With Spain’s group of midfielders, they’re going to be fine. Still, it’s another brutal twist in a tough season for Alcantara.
Spain’s midfielders: Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Xavi Hernandez (Barcelona), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Ander Iturraspe (Athletic Bilbao), David Silva (Manchester City), Santi Cazorla (Arsenal), Koke (Atletico Madrid),
Tiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich), Juan Mata (Manchester United), Jesus Navas (Manchester City).
It felt so awful to strike-through Thiago’s name. Get well, soon.
- Men in Blazers podcast: Kyle Martino joins to talk Thanksgiving and tie knots 0
- Champions League Wednesday preview: Arsenal can advance, Liverpool need kick-start 1
- Jose Mourinho to Schalke after Chelsea’s 5-0 win: “It’s not your fault” 0
- Bob Bradley’s talks with a Swedish club have broken down; Staying at Stabaek? 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Chelsea win group, Man City’s late show, classy PSG 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Bayern Munich: Aguero’s hat trick hands Citizens lifeline 6